What Are the Requirements to Obtain a VISA to Study For a Master’s Degree?

-You must be able to show that you have been granted university/college admission in Sweden

-You must study full-time

-You must be able to show that you have enough money to support yourself throughout the planned study period. Proof that you can support yourself must be provided, e g in the form of some kind of documentation certifying your own or your sponsor’s bank assets, a letter of guarantee from your sponsor, or documentation certifying that you have received either a scholarship or student benefit from your country of origin/domicile. You are required to show that you will have SEK 6,300/month at your disposal for 10 months/year. If you can show that you will be receiving free board and lodging, for instance, this sum is reduced.

-You must fully intend to leave Sweden on completion of your studies

Where Do I Apply For a VISA to Study For My Master’s Degree?
You apply at a Swedish embassy or consulate in your country of origin or your country of domicile. The embassy or consulate sends your application to the Migration Board in Sweden, which takes permit decisions. You will be notified of the decision by the embassy or consulate to which you applied.

How Long Will I Have to Wait For a Decision?
To be sure of obtaining your permit in time, you should present your application 6–8 weeks prior to your departure for Sweden.

How Long is a Permit Valid?
If the study period is a year or less, you will be granted a residence permit for the duration of your studies. If the study period is longer than a year you will be granted a permit for one year at a time.

To obtain an extension of your residence permit, you must be able to show that you have performed adequately in your studies. You must also be able to show that you have regularly received money for your upkeep during the time you have spent in Sweden, by producing a bank certificate, a statement of accounts or the like. In addition, you must be able to show that you have been accepted for further studies and that your upkeep remains assured.

May I Work?
You may work and you do not need a work permit to do that during your stay in Sweden as a student or a Master’s degree student.

You will stay in Sweden for a limited time and you will not be entitled to the same social benefits as those living in Sweden. Therefore it is important that you beforehand find out what insurance that will cover any costs you may incur in Sweden arising from illness, etc.

The Schengen Agreement
The rules in the Schengen Agreement on travel within the Schengen zone now apply in Sweden as well. One result is that people with Swedish residence permits can travel freely throughout the zone for a period of three months without first applying for a visa. All travellers must have a valid passport and be able to prove their identities.

The countries that have signed the Schengen Agreement are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, and Spain.

Further Information
For further information about residence permits for students at university or college in Sweden, please contact the nearest Swedish embassy/consulate or the Swedish Migration Board’s Public Contact Unit.

Application forms can be obtained from the Swedish Embassy or Consulate. You can also order forms from the Migration Board:

Migrationsverket (Distributionen)
601 70 Norrköping,
Tel: +46 (0) 11-15 60 00
Fax: +46 (0) 11-10 81 55
Email: [email protected]

Source- http://naija-konnect.com/hots-on-the-web/study-abroad-get-sweden-vi...

Views: 154


You need to be a member of Vanguard Online Community to add comments!

Join Vanguard Online Community

Comment by Obiegbu ifenna emmanuel on March 4, 2010 at 8:14pm
Plz i wil like to study at sweden,how wil do that.and i wil like u accept me as ur friend.

Forum Categories

© 2021   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service