I want to use this medium to correct an erroneous teaching by one pastor Chris Ojigbani, who anchors ‘single and married’ on Silverbird Tv, he taught that the Bible does not permit man trusting man, that trust should be only for God. He based his argument on Jer 17:5. Before going to the Bible, I want to use one theological principle to approach this discourse viz: common sense. We can use our common sense to read and understand the Bible to an extent because it was written in Hebrew and Greeks common languages. Apart from that, God expect us to read and understand the Bible, so HE WILL NOT WRITES WHAT YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND (Ephesians 3:2-4). Hence, common sense teaches:
- That man cannot do without trusting someone because TRUST is one of the attribute of his Maker. God loves first then we love, God gave first then we give, so man is an embodiment of God’s attribute.
- If he had not trusted the TV station’s ability to deliver his message to a wider audience then he wouldn’t have gone there.
- If we don’t trust Bible translators and their integrity we would not have believed the Bibles that were written in English and other Languages.
- Without trust Jesus would not have committed the gospel into man’s hand he would have had to stay back and preach all by himself
- Without trust we cannot love because love trusts all things
Let me stop here, there are inundating reasons to trust man. May be our gentleman here did not know that trust is the same thing as hope, belief, faith, conviction, confidence et al. mind you I have not dived into the scripture yet. Now let’s go:
- Jeremiah 17:5 - this passage of the Bible has nothing to do with having a belief that someone is capable of doing something positive and committing such into his hand. This passage is saying that man should not forget God and focus is faith on his fellow man. God is the centre of our trust. I trust my pastor because I trust the God he preaches. This is the passage the pastor misapplied. His depth of knowledge of God’s word is in doubt.
- 2Tm:1:5: When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded (TRUSTED) that in thee also. Paul trusted Timothy
- 2Ch:20:20: And they rose early in the morning, and went forth into the wilderness of Tekoa: and as they went forth, Jehoshaphat stood and said, Hear me, O Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem; Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper.
I don't want to go further this few passages are examples. if he has any doubt, he should pick the Bible and check.
God will help us from errors.