E-commerce in Nigeria is one of the fastest growing trend in the business sector and I will not be surprise seeing some of the e-commerce big players like Konga.com and Jumia Nigeria hitting the Nigeria stock market in one or two years from now.
According to Naijabestselling.com we gathered that one of the reasons that can be attributed to this amazing surge in online shopping can be attributed to the following reasons. What you will hear will surprise you from what we gathered in a research and questionnaire section.
- Most people bought online because of the convenience and time it saved them from the convenience of their home and offices without going through the Normal traffics jams and inconveniences found in major Nigeria cities.
- Serious buyers are found frequently comparing products from different sellers and in search of the best option & price thanks to the internet penetration in Nigeria now.
- To our amusement some said shopping online is fun and with their mobile phone they can research, read other buyers reviews and find out bestselling products before ordering and the funniest aspect is that they love the look on their neighbors face and how they are perceived when companies like Konga.com and Jumia Nigeria deliver their ordered Items with their branded cars parked in front of their house.
- Some people find it difficult really going out to shop in the brick and mortar shops because of bad road networks and the nature of their jobs that hardly give them enough time to re-fill their home groceries. I was shocked one Sunday morning on my way to church I decided to pick up some items at Ikeja City Mall and expecting to be out in seconds since its Sunday morning and not expecting to see much people only to meet a massive crowd which led me to asking some of the shoppers why they preferred Sunday morning to shop and they responded saying that is the only time in week they have the time to come out and shop.
- As at September 2015, there are over 97 million internet users in Nigeria (Nigerians Communications Commission). According to UN report, Nigeria has a population of over 182 million and an internet penetration rate that currently stands at over 50% as at the 3rd Quarter of 2015 and is still growing rapidly. Nigeria maintains its leading position in Africa. The interest in online trading in Nigeria is on the rise even as the e-commerce ecosystem continues to witness improvement especially in the payment systems which have become safer and more secure, and has largely attracted a significant number of prospective online sellers.
- Interestingly, total transaction statistics with respect to devices prove that online shoppers prefer to use mobile devices to gather product information, conduct research about the product specs and compare prices. Whereas, they find it more convenient to use desktop personal computers and laptops to finally make an online purchase. With more focus on mobile, it is expected that mobile transactions will overtake desktop transactions in a few years from now.
- As more Nigerians patronise online retail platforms following the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) cash-lite agenda and the Federal Government of Nigeria’s national broadband policy 2013-2018, the Nigerian electronic commerce sector is expected to expand further to as much as $13 billion (N2.5 trillion) in value, THISDAY findings have revealed. Today, on average, the leading online stores like Konga and Jumia Nigeria achieve about $2 million worth of transactions per week (approximately N1.5bn per month).
- KongaPay is a safe and secure payment method which is created in partnership with leading banks in Nigeria to ensure trust and safety for both buyers and sellers on Konga. This method is totally convenient and puts customers in total control, you need not worry about signing up for internet banking, applying card details repeatedly or being faced with bank transaction charges. All you need to do is to register your preferred bank on konga.com, once completed then you can shop with ease. With KongaPay, your online transaction is 100% guaranteed and you also get to enjoy 5% off everything you order when you shop.
- A market as large as Nigeria, with millions of people with different personas – It is very important to understand customers to be able to provide better products and services to them – with this, we etch closer to creating almost-perfect consumer profiles.
We have four groups we have grouped Nigerian internet users into:
— Researchers – 90%- I LIKE TO READ ONLINE REVIEWS BY OTHER CUSTOMERS PRIOR TO PURCHASING A PRODUCT
— Skeptics – 52%-I DO NOT TRUST GIVING MY CREDIT/DEBIT CARD INFORMATION ONLINE
— Shopaholics -93% -SHOPPING ONLINE IS CONVENIENT AND FUN
— Money Savers -63%-DEALS AT ONLINE SITES ARE BETTER THAN THOSE IN STORES