Nigeria is popularly known as the 'Giant of Africa' because of the esteem position the country holds among other countries in Africa.
A lot of questions have been asked overtime as regards the origin, culture, people among other factual information about Nigeria, which might not have been accurately answered in most cases.
It is against this backdrop that VANGUARD gathered these top seven amazing facts you would like to know about the country - Nigeria. Happy read!
1. Nigeria gets her name from River Niger, which is the largest River in West Africa. The name was coined by Lady Flora Shaw, the wife of the British General, Lord Fredrick Lugard. The River cover distance of 2600 miles.
2. Nigeria is also a very multi-cultural place with over 500 ethnic groups of which the three largest are Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo.
3. Aside of being multi-cultural, it is also multi-lingua with 7% of the total languages spoken in the world. Although the official language in the country is English, there is also over 100 distinct languages spoken among various ethnic groups in the country.
4. The country also practice three basic religion vis-a-vis: Christianity, Islam and Traditional religion. Islam is popular among the people residing in Northern Nigeria while Christianity is being widely practiced in the Eastern and Middle Belt of Nigeria and then the traditional. According to historians, Islam was introduced to Nigeria by a trader from Mali while Christianity was introduced by the British Missionaries.
5 It will interest you to note that nearly half of the population of Nigeria is younger than 15 years old. Also, the Yoruba ethnic group has the highest percentage of twin-births in the world. Igbo Ora town in Oyo state has been named the 20th capital of the world because of its high birth rate of twins in the world due to its high consumption of yam.
6. Nigeria's NOLLYWOOD is the second largest movie industry in the world. It produces over 50 movies per week with an estimation of 2600 movies in a year.
7. The richest person in Nigeria is Aliko Dangote, the CEO of Dangote Group, and currently he is 61 years old.