WEAKNESS OF NOTES GIVEN IN VARIOUS LEVELS OF NIGERIA SCHOOLS

I spoke to my professor in Nigeria last month and told her my experiences in graduate school in United States and the teaching styles. I told her the faculty should stop given or dictating notes to students and this does not help students. She does appreciate that information and promised to discuss at the faculty meeting. What are you views, because most of graduates can not express and defend their certificate

There is urgent by National Universities Commission (NUC) and States of Ministry of Education to overhaul the education curriculum and principle of learning and teaching. The idea of giving students notes by lecturers and secondary school teachers is an ugly situation which National Universities Commission and State ministries’ of Education should view seriously to move the country to meet the 21st century standard.

There have been mass failures in West Africa Examination Council examination and National Examination Council because of deficiency in principle of learning and teaching methodologies’ and curriculum. In our higher institutions is almost the same story. The bottom line and the reality are teachers and lecturers think for the students, so students can not think for themselves, express their themselves so notes are brought into examination even when is not open examination.  There should change in teaching styles in our universities and secondary schools that value logic and critical thinking, and stress inquiry, concept development, problem solving, and analysis. Students are not ready to work independently. Teaching styles that allocate learning support assistant (LSA) and set more suitable learning challenges for students and build self esteems.

Stated by Ayodele Fashemi

Views: 779

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

interesting, i would disagree with you here. i think its up to the student choice of learning not that of the teacher.
Thanks for such a nice peace.

The Nigerian system is not built on Critical thinking or stress inquiry as you pointed out. This is traceable to the colonial mentality (way of teaching) which is already outdated long time ago.

I am currently a research student in one of European University. Comparing my experience here, and the knowledge I acquired from the Nigerian educational system. One will realize that we are decades behind.

In order to improve our Educational system the Govt need to introduce the following measures.
Foster or encourage Student Exchange programs with European or American Universities.

Foster or encourage Professors/Lectures Exchange programs with Western Universities.

Research proven methodologies / Case studies. (We need to compare and contrast our Educational
system, with that of the western, with focus on Culture and Political landscape, as well as the outcomes)

Our Educational system needs much funding (especially, research oriented. Using the six perspectives
(what, how, where, who, when and why)

We should stop accepting the norm. (Increase Govt spending in Science as well as Sociology)
I mentioned sociology because an average Nigerian still possesses the Primate tendencies.
(Especially our politicians)

This is what Bill Gate (Microsoft founder) has to say about why America is successful today.

"Why are we the best in information technology and inventing new medicines? It's not because we have low defense costs. It's not because we have low medical costs. It's not because we have a simple society to get things done in. It is because, at least for that top 20 percent or so that get a good (University Education around the world) .... ..is that we've let smart people from other countries come here. We net import massive I.Q. It's our most important import by far." unquote

http://www.thegatesnotes.com/Conversations/SpecialFeature.aspx?ID=9...
Hi Edwin

Your contribution is amazing and I’m so pleased about it because I know now I have people out there with same mindset about our beloved country in mind. We want the best for that country to move forward. My professor advised me to write to NUC about this issue of dictating notes to students.

Ayodele Fashemi

Edwin Aka said:
Thanks for such a nice peace.

The Nigerian system is not built on Critical thinking or stress inquiry as you pointed out. This is traceable to the colonial mentality (way of teaching) which is already outdated long time ago.

I am currently a research student in one of European University. Comparing my experience here, and the knowledge I acquired from the Nigerian educational system. One will realize that we are decades behind.

In order to improve our Educational system the Govt need to introduce the following measures.
Foster or encourage Student Exchange programs with European or American Universities.

Foster or encourage Professors/Lectures Exchange programs with Western Universities.

Research proven methodologies / Case studies. (We need to compare and contrast our Educational
system, with that of the western, with focus on Culture and Political landscape, as well as the outcomes)

Our Educational system needs much funding (especially, research oriented. Using the six perspectives
(what, how, where, who, when and why)

We should stop accepting the norm. (Increase Govt spending in Science as well as Sociology)
I mentioned sociology because an average Nigerian still possesses the Primate tendencies.
(Especially our politicians)

This is what Bill Gate (Microsoft founder) has to say about why America is successful today.

"Why are we the best in information technology and inventing new medicines? It's not because we have low defense costs. It's not because we have low medical costs. It's not because we have a simple society to get things done in. It is because, at least for that top 20 percent or so that get a good (University Education around the world) .... ..is that we've let smart people from other countries come here. We net import massive I.Q. It's our most important import by far." unquote

http://www.thegatesnotes.com/Conversations/SpecialFeature.aspx?ID=9...
Hi Bunmi,

Hi Bunmi,

Discourse posted “who own Nigeria oil “how many Nigerian students contributed? The Vanguard online Community is a forum and a great educational tool to enlighten the public about current issues that needed change. I ‘m an educator and earned my undergrad and graduate degrees in Nigeria and taught for 16 years prior my graduate studies in the States. It seems you had your High School and going through your undergrad here in the States. According to Edwin and agree with him there is great difference in learning and teaching styles’ and the situation need to be addressed

olubunmi said:
interesting, i would disagree with you here. i think its up to the student choice of learning not that of the teacher.
Follow up ..

Another input: "WEAKNESS OF NOTES GIVEN IN VARIOUS LEVELS OF NIGERIA SCHOOLS"

For those of You who may have a need to research on this Topic: Here are some Criteria.

Class Size: What is the Average class size in Nigeria educational system from nursery to Secondary school. (Two states with the same class sizes may have different test scores for many reasons).

One state might have better teaches or it might use better textbooks. Or some student might even be malnourished.

Two states or Local Govt with comparable class sizes, teachers, and textbooks still might have very different student populations; perhaps one L.G.A might have native early English speakers or wealthier families or educated populace. Examples (Enugu, Owerri, Victoria Island Wusa Abuja) .

Finally, even if two Cities are the same in all ways (e.g Victorial Island and Wusa Abuja) they might have different test scores for essentially random reasons having to do with performance of the individual students on the day of test.

Even all these reasons will not hold exactly for all Regions, States or L.G.As.. Instead, it should be viewed as a statement about a relationship that holds on average across the population of respective area.

Hence Econometricians may use linear relationships that holds for each district to incorporate these other factors influencing test scores, including each Regions unique characteristics (e.g. , quality of their teachers, background of their students, how lucky the students were on test day).

In these filed of research there are lots of Literature out there in social science.
I will recommend a book by James H. Stock & Mark Watson. (Second Edition)ISBN: 0-321-44253-9
Or use Google Scholar http://scholar.google.com/
Edwin
This is great research topic and thanks for your much input to this discourse

Ayodele

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2022   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service