For weeks on, the fire of hate in Jos, Plateau State has raged on. What many said started from a mere arguement over a property has snowballed into  state-wide mayhem of no small proportion. Unconfirmed figures had put the death toll at above a thousand while the once peaceful Jos, a just city regarded as the home of all has been deserted. Not even a dusk to down curfew, nor deployment of  troops by the Army, nor presence of hundreds of heavily armed policemen had been able to quench the fire of hate and fatal anger.

What has gone wrong? Could it be the rumble of  ethnic bad blood, a religious  uprising or total collapse of governance in Nigeria’s Plateau? Why has peace plateaued in Plateau State?

Views: 685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Religious crisis and the North are synanymous. I stand to be corrected. The question to ask is :why the North all the time? If at all any crisis of religious undertune has taken place in any other part of Nigeria, it was in response to unjust killings in the North (represal attack). I am beginning to think that our Northern brothers delight in shading blood may be as religious belief or as a means to weaken the Nigeria polity. What bothers me more is the fact that elite in the North have times over promsied each time there was crisis that, that would be the last but to no avail. It is high time we told them that Nigeria is for all of us and as Nigerians, we have equal right. Many of them live in other parts of the country and go about their businesses unmolested. They should try to embibe the spirit of live and let live. That way, Nigeria will remain one entity, where human rights and dignity are respected. Nothing other than this will save this country.
No body is an island, and nobody can survive without the other. be it north, south, east or west, we must live together and tolerate one another, irrespective of our religion. God should help us to imbibe this mentallity.

Charles Ugochukwu Okere said:
Religious crisis and the North are synanymous. I stand to be corrected. The question to ask is :why the North all the time? If at all any crisis of religious undertune has taken place in any other part of Nigeria, it was in response to unjust killings in the North (represal attack). I am beginning to think that our Northern brothers delight in shading blood may be as religious belief or as a means to weaken the Nigeria polity. What bothers me more is the fact that elite in the North have times over promsied each time there was crisis that, that would be the last but to no avail. It is high time we told them that Nigeria is for all of us and as Nigerians, we have equal right. Many of them live in other parts of the country and go about their businesses unmolested. They should try to embibe the spirit of live and let live. That way, Nigeria will remain one entity, where human rights and dignity are respected. Nothing other than this will save this country.
We must look into what these guys are saying and correct the tendency to sweep things under the carpet, if
indeed we want a trouble-free Jos or any other part of Nigeria. If the moslems have declared in various ways
that they alone have renegades who lust to kill those of other faiths, then these other faiths must respond
forcefully and prove to moslems that they (moslems) can not have a monopoly of violence, whatever the
pretext. Evil persists when good men keep quiet and do nothing. I advocate a situation where whenever any
moslems, yes any moslems start a fight, they must be resisted with overwhelming force and killed even
in disproportionate numbers to those they kill. Why? That is the ONLY way to build a peaceful nigeria which
is not perpetually harassed by moslem fanatics. Persuading them to peacefully co-exist with you has been
unproductive for over 40 years, so what makes a forceful self defense not the best option now? For how
long will an inept and infiltrated law enforcement contain them? And even if they manage the crises at critical
times, what about all other times that we deserve our peace and dignity? Which society likes to live under
the constant blanket of curfews and isolated hate crimes by moslem fanatics in our midst? If they say that
they don't like the sight of a girl in short skirts, etc...is it not high time they migrate to the arab world and
leave us alone to be free born nigerians with our various tribal varieties and persuasions? Must we be
raped, killed and beheaded just because one of our religions have refused to rein in its criminal fanatics?
My answer is NO! The moslem fanatics must be battled and destroyed. If their socalled peaceful cousins
objects to this stance, then they too must be forced by our forceful resolve to take a principled stand against
an obvious evil or join a developing ethno-religious war. Why ethno-relgious? Because all these criminal
fanatics are invariably from one nigerian tribe! Hausa fulani. I say no, the hausa fulani must come correct
with the rest of nigerians or be made by force to civilize, or leave nigeria alone. Enough is enough.

Reply by Charles Ugochukwu Okere on January 29, 2010 at 3:49pm
Peace will continue to elude this country until those the who cliam to be religious show character and restraint in the practice of their religion and our leaders learn to call the spade by its true name. Those who run foul of the law should not be treated with kid gloves.

Reply by John Jang on January 28, 2010 at 2:57pm
Jos has been sitting on a smouldering time-bomb that has just been ignited. So long as the people are not willing to accept the truth, such crisis would continue. The immediate past Commissioner of Police has been recalled to Abuja
for stating the bitter truth that "Muslims youths attacked Christians in the Church unprovoked". Lucky Dube in one of his songs said 'if you stand for the truth, you will always stand alone' - continue to remain steadfast, brother. Where will all this hide and seek game take us to? Until the pepatrators of these devilish acts are punished, more of such uprisings would remain with us. The Commissioner of Justice in Plateau State, earlier this week said on AIT that the case files of the suspects in the previous crisis were taken to Abuja, and no news todate. Even the current crisis, some of those arrested have been taken to Abuja again. The interesting thing is that one never hears of the prosecutions. The people should be taken to where they committed the crimes and tried there. Even as I write this,
people are still being killed in villages in Barikin Ladi LGA, the latest raid being yesternight (27/01/20) by the Fulani herdsmen and innocent people being killed. We need to face the hard truth, and no matter who is involved, such people should be tried and convicted to serve as a deterrent to others, and not to always release the suspects who will always regroup and plan a more deadly attack on the people, just like we just witnessed.
The problem in Jos is due to the complete absence of self-determination and True elections in Nigeria - which will beget strong institutions if existent.
It is also a case of the complete failure of the Nigerian State (nay, 'Geographical expression') to resolve problems in a non-violent, civilised, fair and objective manner eg Niger Delta Underdevelopment, Sovereign National Conference Agitation, marginalisation of both northern and southern minorities, corruption, etc
But most glaringly, it is a case of utter disregard for the rule of law.
How else can we explain a situation where people protesting election results(Nov 2008) decide to do so violently rather than go to the election tribunal? Why would someone attack a Church as a means of protesting refusal by his neighbors to permit reconstruction of his house (Jan 2010)- rather than go to the police?
The fact remains that there will always be conflict as long as people with differences live together.
Non-violent resolution of disagreements is the bedrock of civilisation. Those perpetrators need to imbibe that basic tenet voluntarily or otherwise.
Haba Olagunju!
It appears you don't know Hausaland at all. Let me name some prominent Yoruba men passing off as Hausas. Umaru Mutallab - yes him! The Father of Farouk Mutallab; then I believe you know Amos Adamu; There is Tijjani Yusuf - that guy hovering around NFF. Some say even Rabiu Kwankwaso, the former governor of Kano State. Now talking of none indigenes who had become governors in Hausaland? At the moment we have governor Shekarau of Kano. He is from Borno South area, a heavily christian populated area. Then remember Bakin Zuwo of blessed memory? He was what yorubas call Tapa!
Now in all honesty, where will you find all these but in Hausa - Fulani areas of this country. As a Yoruba Man, just try to buy land in Port Harcourt and environs then come back and tell us your experiences. By the way, ask around how many none indigenous owners of land in Rivers State have certificates of occupancies. My dear Ola, people like you should travel around. Believe me many of the misconceptions you havewill be things of the past.

OLAGUNJU ISIAKA ABIOLA said:
The mayhem in Jos is one of the reflections of the current imperfect federalism we are operating. Let the truth be told it is practically impossible for a yoruba or igbo man who was actually born, lived and had all his investment in Kano or any other Hausa-Fulani cities to claim that he is an indigene of the place no matter how long he has lived in that community.
Unless we address the issue of indigeneship seriously and sincerely too, the crisis will continue.
Haba Olagunju!
It appears you don't know Hausaland at all. Let me name some prominent Yoruba men passing off as Hausas. Umaru Mutallab - yes him! The Father of Farouk Mutallab; then I believe you know Amos Adamu; There is Tijjani Yusuf - that guy hovering around NFF. Some say even Rabiu Kwankwaso, the former governor of Kano State. Now talking of none indigenes who had become governors in Hausaland? At the moment we have governor Shekarau of Kano. He is from Borno South area, a heavily christian populated area. Then remember Bakin Zuwo of blessed memory? He was what yorubas call Tapa!

Now in all honesty, where will you find all these but in Hausa - Fulani areas of this country. As a Yoruba Man, just try to buy land in Port Harcourt and environs then come back and tell us your experiences. By the way, ask around how many none indigenous owners of land in Rivers State have certificates of occupancies. My dear Ola, people like you should travel around. Believe me many of the misconceptions you have will be things of the past.

The mayhem in Jos is one of the reflections of the current imperfect federalism we are operating. Let the truth be told it is practically impossible for a yoruba or igbo man who was actually born, lived and had all his investment in Kano or any other Hausa-Fulani cities to claim that he is an indigene of the place no matter how long he has lived in that community.
Unless we address the issue of indigeneship seriously and sincerely too, the crisis will continue.
the so called Jos crisis is simply one in which the Muslims (otherwise called the Hausa/Fulani) have come of age by having the largest number of residents have been denied the constitutional right to be voted for and vote for rather the so called indigenes ( particularly the Christians) see them as a threat to the political, social and economic power and therefore fight them cos the feel that way the can control a place that has been taken over in population, economic power and area of space. unless the Christians in the state accept this they will always hide under the pretend of religion to fight the other group (Muslims).
HABA MALAMI! WHAT IS UR HABA ABOUT?...U PEOPLE ARE THE BABARIC ANIMALS THAT LORD LUGGARD MISTAKENLY JOINED US..WHAT SENSE HAVE U MADE IN UR TAPA AND CO U MENTIONED. U ARE SAYING ALL THESE THAT WE ARE STRANGERS IN NIGERIA? WHY IS IS THAT CHRISTIAN NORTHERNERS CANT BE GOVERNOR IN STATES LIKE KADUNA,GOMBE,BAUCHI, KANO, MAIDUGUIRI WHERE THEY ARE POPULATED? DO U WANT TO DENY THAT NORTHERN STATES STILL OPERATE ON INDIGINESHIP AND NON INDIGENESHIP? JOS WE ALL KNOW WHO ARE THE \TROUBLE MAKERS, northern MUSLIMS LIKE DOMENERING...DO U KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN JAAMA LOCAL GOVT IN KADUNA THE EMIR WANTS TO WEIGH ARROGANT INFLUENCE WHERE THEY ARE JUST MINORITY.THAT CAUSED RIOTS AND THE CREATION OF CHIEFDOMS FROM EMIRATES...CHECK ,EMIRATES ARE FEW NOW WHILE CHIEFDOM SARE MANY IN KADUBA STATE..BECAUSE THE TRUTH IS HAUSA FULANI AND ISLAMIC HAUSA ARE MIGRANTS FROM CHAD BUT THEY ARE ARROGANT AND VERY TROUBLESOME. I FEEL PITY FOR FEW NON MUSLIMS HERE WHO MISTAKE CRUEL MUSLIM IN THE NORTH AS PEACEFUL, THEY ARE TIME BOMBS AND VERY WICKED.WHAT DO U KNOW ABOUT PORTHARCOURT?WHY NT LAGOS WHERE NORTHERN MUSLIM ARE GIVEN 100% RIGHTS?

Malami Elsudi said:
Haba Olagunju!
It appears you don't know Hausaland at all. Let me name some prominent Yoruba men passing off as Hausas. Umaru Mutallab - yes him! The Father of Farouk Mutallab; then I believe you know Amos Adamu; There is Tijjani Yusuf - that guy hovering around NFF. Some say even Rabiu Kwankwaso, the former governor of Kano State. Now talking of none indigenewho had become governors in Hausaland? At the moment we have governor Shekarau of Kano. He is from Borno South area, a heavily christian populated area. Then remember Bakin Zuwo of blessed memory? He was what yorubas call Tapa! Now in all honesty, where will you find all these but in Hausa - Fulani areas of this country. As a Yoruba Man, just try to buy land in Port Harcourt and environs then come back and tell us your experiences. By the way, ask around how many none indigenous owners of land in Rivers State have certificates of occupancies. My dear Ola, people like you should travel around. Believe me many of the misconceptions you have will be things of the past.

THE MAN THAT SAYS IN MIDDLE EAST THAT CHRISTIAN LIVE IN PEACE IS LYING, WHY DONT U ASK WHY DO THE CHRISTIAN CITIZENS LIVE IN FEAR AND MANY HAVE MIGRATED TO THE WEST. WHY DONT U ASK WHY ARE CHURCHES UNDERGROUND IN THOSE PLACE? WHY IS NO CHURCH IN SAUDI ARABIA, BUT THERE IS IN ITALY AND ROME? WHAT DO U MEAN CHRISTIAN LIVE IN PEACE WITH MUSLIM...DO U KNOW PAKISTAN? MALAYSIA?THE COUNTRIES LIKE OMAN AND CO, OR EGYPT- WHY ARE COPTIC CHRISTIAN KILLED AND THEIR GIRLS RAPED? SAY WHAT U KNOW AND DONT TRIVIALIZED ISSUES. U MAY BE THERE, BUT U HAVE NOT RESEARCH, DO UR RESEARCH AND U WILL BE SHOCKED!STOP MISINFORMING PEOPLE. THOSE PEOPLE LIVE IN FEAR.

John Faloye said:
Tj, thank you for correcting our dear Ijebu. This forum should not be to crucify a religious sect sentimentally, we should always be objective in our criticism. Like you rightly said, nations that are predominantly Muslim like in the Middle East such as Oman, Qatar, UAE, Kuwait have never witnessed any fight between Muslims and Christians. Yet, Christians abound in these countries and are not molested or victimised for their faith. The way some of our Muslim brothers in Nigeria understand the Islamic religion is in negation of what the Holy book of Quran taught. We have friends here and we discuss issues with them, they inquire about Christ Jesus and we never had time to fight on trivial issues. The Ijesa people where I originated from have a popular say that "ohun to wa ninu oloti loti n pa mo" meaning what a drunkard concealed in his heart is what he exhibits when drunk. I believe all these fanatics fighting and burning churches in the name of religion had other reasons in their heart apart from Islamic religion. God bless us.
Tajudeen Alabede said:
Ijebu, you will do us all a great deal of good if you can avail us the source of that insensitive quotation. Calling a religion with global reach 'evil' on this global forum reeks of insensitivity and recklessness. This should be a forum for dialogue, not for unbridled partisanship. I guess our duty is to use this online community as a common platform to finding solutions to our common challenges.

Nobody needs reminding that Nigeria is not the only place where Muslims and Christians live together. Even in many predominantly Muslims nations, the level of mutual mistrust and intolerance is not as high as we have in Nigeria. How many countries in the world boil over, in the name of religion, the way we experience in Nigeria? When last did you hear of serious religious crisis in such African nations as Niger, Mali, Senegal and Chad? Yet they are predominant Muslim countries with Christian minorities. Even the excuse that poverty exacerbates the problem in Nigeria doesn't hold water. The nations mentioned are much poorer than Nigeria. The real problem isn't religion. No doubt, religion may become a weapon deployed by some people who have other motives.

Please, don't blame Islam for the wrongs of some Muslims. Anybody, including a Muslim, may be evil. But to label a religion 'evil' on this platform is unacceptable. We need genuine information. Don't feed us with sentiments. Every religion has a history of wrongs committed by her adherents, sometimes in the name of the religion. I only hope that you've read, dispassionately, the complete history of Christianity and Islam.

ijebu afoke dickson said:
1 Quotation about evil Islam... "Human blood is the life-line of Islam, violence its hallmark, and hate its foundation. In the neginning, Islam lives on the blood of infidels. When that is unavailable, or becomes difficult, Islam must cannibalize itself." i thing those who commited this act are those who misinteprete word. God will never forgive them the bible say thou shall not kill.
CAN U GIVE US UR STATISTCS ON UR LARGEST NUMBER? U PEOPLE WILL GET TIRED BECUASE WAR NOW IS SOPHISTICATED
Rabiu Jibrin said:
the so called Jos crisis is simply one in which the Muslims (otherwise called the Hausa/Fulani) have come of age by having the largest number of residents have been denied the constitutional right to be voted for and vote for rather the so called indigenes ( particularly the Christians) see them as a threat to the political, social and economic power and therefore fight them cos the feel that way the can control a place that has been taken over in population, economic power and area of space. unless the Christians in the state accept this they will always hide under the pretend of religion to fight the other group (Muslims).
There is need to go back to basis,my fellow nigerians. We just have to return back to the initial LOVE we had for one another which led to Independence in 1960 from the British Masters.

God Bless Nigeria.....
Apart from Jos Plateau, there are some other states where something of this nature is happening but what is no so clear is that the entire society is basing these illicit acts on ethnic/religious groups. May I state here that it is not ethnic/religious groups that are involved in this, ethnic/religion perse is to assist in moulding the behaviour of its people/ to help promote our cultural heritage.

It is very unfortunate these set of individuals are not straight forward/wicked/wants to acquire everything and it is biblically written that nicked we came in the same way we are returning back to our maker. It is high time for them to come out openly and lets know what is their stand about our nation or if they don't want to speak, i think the nation should be regionalised otherwise it will keep happening.

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2021   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service