By Dayo Benson
LAGOS—VICE President Namadi Sambo, said, Sunday, that  Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, governors and majority of Northerners were united in their support
for President Goodluck Jonathan 2011 presidential ambition.

The Vice President spoke against the background of reported division within
the rank of governors, some of whom are said to be romancing other
presidential aspirants.

He said that those in the North who were opposed to President Jonathan contesting the 2011 presidential elections were those who are pursuing their personal interest. Sambo
who spoke with journalists in Abuja, said all PDP governors, in the
South-South, South-East and their Northern counterparts were being
carried along in the Jonathan- Sambo ticket.    

He said: “The Northern Governors, and in fact all the Governors of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, are being carried
along and we have good relationship, we are moving this country
together. And the position of all the sections or the zones of this
country have been made very clear.

“The governors of the South-South have made their statement, the governors from the Northern
states have made their statement; members of the Nigerian Governors
Forum have also made their statement. These statements are all in line with our position. So we are all together.”

Speaking on when President Jonathan would formally declare his ambition, the
Vice President said: “Very soon, there is no specific date yet but it
will be very soon. You know the Ramadan period is a holy month and you
know it is not the best period to go into all those kinds of
activities.

Already there is a statement from the presidency.”

Commenting on the position of the North that power must remain in the region come 2011, he said: “Am I not part of the
power? I think I am from the North and as the Vice-President, I have
confidence that whatever a President from the North will do, I am in
the best position to do it for the North. And today we are fifty years
old, the party has made it clear that the issue of its candidature will
be in line with the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,
and zoning is still an existing factor, it is part of the PDP
constitution.

“We have gone up, we  are just going to celebrate our 50th anniversary. And at the age of 50, we expect any state to have
grown. This country (Nigeria) has come a long way and, therefore, the
issues that have  to do with our development, of effecting programmes
of government that will rejuvenate the country and create a better
standard of living for Nigerians are what we are looking for.”
The Vice President who was the former governor of Kaduna State debunked insinuation that he was losing grip of events in
the state, noting: “I  have not heard of that really and in practice I
have not seen anything like that. In fact, just before you came in I
received a group of political friends from Kaduna and they said the
government is doing everything in line with the programmes we have put
in place together in Kaduna and all these politicians are from Kaduna .
We are even getting stronger and strengthening all  issues with
politics in Kaduna State.”

Views: 1038

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rabiu, great the man has credentials:-A Phd holder, work experience in the civil service & university, as Deputy Governor, as Governor, as vice president, as Acting President; the first of its kind in this country and presently the President. Please investigate all these areas and you will be convince based on excellent records of good service to humanity. Presently, Petrol stations now beg for motorists to patronize them and no ques. I stay in the north which is extremely hot and i now use fan or Air condition throughout the night courtesy of PHCN. Peace has return to many areas in this country etc. Above all he is not sectional in terms of religion, ethnic or region. So what do you expect from a leader?. He is just the right man God has send to salvage Nigeria.
Any time a Northerner makes a comment,it is always laced with useless sentiments.Our present predicament is caused by the Northerner who were crafty enough to get to top positions.Just look of the state of affairs in the North and compare it to what obtains in the South and you will see why many people believe that the North should just forget the presidency,at least for now.Rabiu,stark naked poverty is staring your people in the face and you are talking of credentials.What credential do you need because since President Johnathan came in,a lot of improvements have been taking place in our country.Perhaps you dont know the importance of the Petroleum bill he signed a few weeks ago or the steady supply of fuel and better electricity supply etc etc.In your head,it should be Buhari,Mr.Sharia supporter or even Shagari who has a lot of experience in being a cripple president who never did ONE thing right throughout his tenure.Anyway,we all can see that Sambo and Goodluck are a perfect team and it is difficult to see who else has the requisite leadership these two have exhibited.Ibb is an out and out criminal just like Atiku.Buhari supported Sharia law and he is a man who still habors that Arewa mentality.I wish you luck while hoping that your education ,as you claim,will set you free.
Rabiu see what you have caused....sleeping dogs are not always let to lie...
Robert iam not surprised at all to your comments rememer that the so called south you claim was built with the sweat of our people, agreed that my people are poverty written on their faces, but one thing remains clear that the best leaders this country can boostully call true leaders are all from the North all with an impecable track record e.g Yakubu Gowon, Murtala Mohammed and Mohammadu Buhari dispute that if you have the facts? Also remember that a true democrat is one whose work is felt by every body. instead of acknowledging my complaints you were completely carried away by sentiments remember we may be backward and not fully enlighted but our backwardness will definately count on election date we will see by God s grace who will win the election as it is a matter of time mr Education.

robert redd said:
Any time a Northerner makes a comment,it is always laced with useless sentiments.Our present predicament is caused by the Northerner who were crafty enough to get to top positions.Just look of the state of affairs in the North and compare it to what obtains in the South and you will see why many people believe that the North should just forget the presidency,at least for now.Rabiu,stark naked poverty is staring your people in the face and you are talking of credentials.What credential do you need because since President Johnathan came in,a lot of improvements have been taking place in our country.Perhaps you dont know the importance of the Petroleum bill he signed a few weeks ago or the steady supply of fuel and better electricity supply etc etc.In your head,it should be Buhari,Mr.Sharia supporter or even Shagari who has a lot of experience in being a cripple president who never did ONE thing right throughout his tenure.Anyway,we all can see that Sambo and Goodluck are a perfect team and it is difficult to see who else has the requisite leadership these two have exhibited.Ibb is an out and out criminal just like Atiku.Buhari supported Sharia law and he is a man who still habors that Arewa mentality.I wish you luck while hoping that your education ,as you claim,will set you free.
God bless Mr vic president, actually ur a man of wisdom. i stongly belive in you, what Nigerians need is unity so that they can put things together like the bible says that two heads are better than one. I have the confidenc that God Almighty has destind Mr president to rule our countory right from the womb. please my people if we actually need nigeria to furge ahead IBB should be out of the way.
Thank you Mr.Rabiu.I and other Nigerians do not agree that the greatest leaders that ever ruled Nigeria are all from the North.Why not after all no ones else except OBJ ever had the opportunity to rule Nigeria,anyway.Ironsi tried it and you people murdered him within six months,MKO won a free and fair election and your people cancelled it ,jailed him and later murdered him also,when it was Ekwemes turn to rule,the same Buhari (Mr.Sharia) toppled the government,Shonekan was removed by force after just three months and OBJ came to clean the mess your so called top notch leaders left behind.At that time,there was nothing like mobile phones,we were owing 35 billion dollars to the Paris club and there was no road,no water,failed banks,no hospitals and whatever else that makes life better in the entire country and meanwhile,your great leaders were looting and squandering our resources in far off places like Saudi Arabia,UK etc.Some even take minors as wives.
Today,the world bank sid that IBB took the SAP decision ALONE.Real top class leader eh? Try these links and draw your own conclusions.
ttp://emeagwali.com/interviews/sharia/crisis-in-nigeria.html
http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/barticles/buhari_and_signifying_m...
Thats about Buhari and I am sure if you are honest,you will find other links.
Now about Murtala Mohammed.We all love him althoug he didnt last long enough for everyone to see his true self.I dont know anything about Gowon except for the fact that he lied to Nigerians over the issue of resource control.Before the Biafra Nigeria war started,each region was firmly in control of their own resources and 50% to the central government.When the war started,this same your hero Gowon begged to take control of everybody's resources to prosecute the war and promised to returned after the way is over.Up to this very moment,the resources are still not returned to the rightful owners which was a precursor to the the Niger Delta crisis we have today.What a fantastic leader who set the stage to the event that will eventually disintegrate this country.In fact,Gowon is worse than IBB because he set the stage for people like IBB to come into power.My only grudge is with the Ibos and Yorubas who allowed these kind of Northern charlatans to take control of a blessed country like Nigeria and turn it into a pigsty.

Rabiu Jibrin said:
Robert iam not surprised at all to your comments rememer that the so called south you claim was built with the sweat of our people, agreed that my people are poverty written on their faces, but one thing remains clear that the best leaders this country can boostully call true leaders are all from the North all with an impecable track record e.g Yakubu Gowon, Murtala Mohammed and Mohammadu Buhari dispute that if you have the facts? Also remember that a true democrat is one whose work is felt by every body. instead of acknowledging my complaints you were completely carried away by sentiments remember we may be backward and not fully enlighted but our backwardness will definately count on election date we will see by God s grace who will win the election as it is a matter of time mr Education.

robert redd said:
And Mr.Rabiu,how was the South built with your peoples sweat?Please explain.How can you build the South and abandon your own area.It doesn't make any sense to me my dear friend.You might think I have a grudge or something against you or any other Nigerian but I sincerely do not.I want Nigerians to learn to call a spade a a spade regardless of whose ox is gored.Hiding behind religion,ethnicity and all that stuff is what brought us to this bitter stage.Northerners or not,we must all tell our leaders when they go wrong after all they are human being like me and you.The present crop of Northern presidential aspirants (except my dear Mr.Shekarau) are nothing but a group of monkeys who are only fighting for themselves and their families.Every single one of them and including your good self benefited from free scholarship based form oil money from the South South so what are you saying.If a man like you who prefers to act like an ostrich ever gets into a position of power,i feel sorry for the people.You find it difficult to see or accept the truth.Goodluck

Rabiu Jibrin said:

robert redd said:
this event is become very interesting especially between jibrin and robert and facts are being dug out!pls this is not a forum for fighting but constructive arguements...keep it up!
Rabiu you are correct when you said the best presidents that have ever led Nigeria are all from the North, but you forgot to mention the best Northern leader the north has ever produced. Abacha... thought he was from the north pardon my knowlege of geography.
May God continue to be with Rabiu Jibrin. We should stop decieving ourself by saying that Jonathan is the Messaiah. Rabiu Jibrin has said everything, Jonathan does not have the qualities of a good leader. He has been in power for more than three months now, what has he achieved? Nothing. If by mistake this man is voted in as the next president, it will be a disaster for Nigeria. Those who are behind him are those who do not love our country. They are those who know his weaknesses and they want to use those weakenesses to steal our money. It will be a very great mistake if either Babangida or Atiku is elected. They do not have good records. PDP is not the only political party in Nigeria. I do not care where the president comes from, but Nigerians should be very careful and choose a candidate of impecable character as our next president. In a country where a senator earns more than 4 times of USA president makes in a year and nothing is done to alleviate the suffering of millions of ordinary Nigerians wallowing in abject poverty, where all our infrastrustrural facilities are in deplorable conditions, where her youths are roaming about the streets with no jobs to do, and still thinking or retaining the archtects of those predicaments in power, we have to rethink our decisions. These are the set of people who remove Ribadu as EFCC boss in order to perpetuate their atrocities. The same Ribadu is in Nigeria now, if the mean business on war against corruption, why can't they call him back into the office? 2011 will be a crucial year for Nigeria all Nigerians should pray for devine intervention.
Anybody who does not know hat president Johnathan has achieved in only 100 days has not been following trends or reading our newspapers.Try this link for a start and update your knowledge by taking some time to find out the facts before you criticize.It is not that difficult anymore with the internet.I am refering to you Mr.Olaleye

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-498728.0.html
I hear you and i can see you have changed your tone of speech thats good now lets review your people and see if trully they are God sent as you claim. Looking at your Governors expect for Donald Duke who was able to transform his State with facilites that is now bringing wealth left right and centre (Obodo Ranch and Tinapa Free Port) all the rest are just like IBB who you claim consider their families first, what have the other put on ground for their people apart from the oil wealth. You described us as poverty sticken people, yes but do you think being a rugged is better than a poor person with your militants every where distroying your environment and blaming the Federal Government for neglect, why dont you ask your Governors where is all the wealth being given to them taken. please equipped yourself first with what Sharia law is all about, Buhari has held many post Minister petroleum, Governor, GOC, Head of State and Chairman PTF in which case he has excelled in every duty assigned to him. Tony Anenih, Ebori, Attah, Lucky,e.t.c are they outstanding Nigerians? Tell me what has one of your best people done that has touched the lives of every Nigerian including Goodluck. I dont think i will reply you again as you have not understood what a true debate its all about? i wanted you to equip me with facts about your candidate which you have not, had it not been of the death of Late Umar Yar'adua we will not be talking of Goodluck at all are you disputing this. the fact is this, whether you like it or not Goodluck is a child of circumstance, but remember luck has its limit my people are trully enlighted as we have knowledge of what happens around (via radio sets) us unless if the elections are rigged the masses of which about 70% are rural based will have their way by Gods grace. Thanks for appointing another great Northern (Jega) better than Humprey Nwosu, Abel Gobadia, Morris Iwu, who will prefer t resign than allow for rigged elections. Check and see the sharia man Buhari was invited twice by Goodluck is he seeking sharia knowledge or what?

robert redd said:
And Mr.Rabiu,how was the South built with your peoples sweat?Please explain.How can you build the South and abandon your own area.It doesn't make any sense to me my dear friend.You might think I have a grudge or something against you or any other Nigerian but I sincerely do not.I want Nigerians to learn to call a spade a a spade regardless of whose ox is gored.Hiding behind religion,ethnicity and all that stuff is what brought us to this bitter stage.Northerners or not,we must all tell our leaders when they go wrong after all they are human being like me and you.The present crop of Northern presidential aspirants (except my dear Mr.Shekarau) are nothing but a group of monkeys who are only fighting for themselves and their families.Every single one of them and including your good self benefited from free scholarship based form oil money from the South South so what are you saying.If a man like you who prefers to act like an ostrich ever gets into a position of power,i feel sorry for the people.You find it difficult to see or accept the truth.Goodluck

Rabiu Jibrin said:

robert redd said:

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2021   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service