By Dayo Benson
LAGOS—VICE President Namadi Sambo, said, Sunday, that  Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, governors and majority of Northerners were united in their support
for President Goodluck Jonathan 2011 presidential ambition.

The Vice President spoke against the background of reported division within
the rank of governors, some of whom are said to be romancing other
presidential aspirants.

He said that those in the North who were opposed to President Jonathan contesting the 2011 presidential elections were those who are pursuing their personal interest. Sambo
who spoke with journalists in Abuja, said all PDP governors, in the
South-South, South-East and their Northern counterparts were being
carried along in the Jonathan- Sambo ticket.    

He said: “The Northern Governors, and in fact all the Governors of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, are being carried
along and we have good relationship, we are moving this country
together. And the position of all the sections or the zones of this
country have been made very clear.

“The governors of the South-South have made their statement, the governors from the Northern
states have made their statement; members of the Nigerian Governors
Forum have also made their statement. These statements are all in line with our position. So we are all together.”

Speaking on when President Jonathan would formally declare his ambition, the
Vice President said: “Very soon, there is no specific date yet but it
will be very soon. You know the Ramadan period is a holy month and you
know it is not the best period to go into all those kinds of
activities.

Already there is a statement from the presidency.”

Commenting on the position of the North that power must remain in the region come 2011, he said: “Am I not part of the
power? I think I am from the North and as the Vice-President, I have
confidence that whatever a President from the North will do, I am in
the best position to do it for the North. And today we are fifty years
old, the party has made it clear that the issue of its candidature will
be in line with the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,
and zoning is still an existing factor, it is part of the PDP
constitution.

“We have gone up, we  are just going to celebrate our 50th anniversary. And at the age of 50, we expect any state to have
grown. This country (Nigeria) has come a long way and, therefore, the
issues that have  to do with our development, of effecting programmes
of government that will rejuvenate the country and create a better
standard of living for Nigerians are what we are looking for.”
The Vice President who was the former governor of Kaduna State debunked insinuation that he was losing grip of events in
the state, noting: “I  have not heard of that really and in practice I
have not seen anything like that. In fact, just before you came in I
received a group of political friends from Kaduna and they said the
government is doing everything in line with the programmes we have put
in place together in Kaduna and all these politicians are from Kaduna .
We are even getting stronger and strengthening all  issues with
politics in Kaduna State.”

Views: 1038

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i believe in what mr vice president hs said,sincerely the issue of zoning is basically for selfish interest of this old cabals tell me,if not that the take nigerians as fools how on earth will somebody like IBB after damaging this country for 8yrs still one come back,anyway,i dont want to get angry this morning lets leave this for another day,the truth still remains that we need a change,and i believe God just allow jonathan for that change...big up to others..
I am not surprised at all to hear the Vice president saying that the people and Governors of the North are behind the Presidents Ambition to run in the 2011 race. this is because he is a direct benficiary of Goodluck Jonathan goodwill to assume that office of the Vice President. i want him to remember that sycophoncy by those close to him are just doing so for their selfish interest, you should know that in a country where almost every is not working or workng in less than 20%, is that the yardstick for Nigerians especially the Northers to elect Goodluck. unless the PDP intents rigging the elections again if not Goodluck has no credentials of being the Messiah Nigerians have been waiting for, remember he has been just like his name lucky but there are stages in life where results take precedence over luck, any way with everything being equal and God on our side we will wait for time to see if Nigerians are trully behind him (Goodluck) or otherwise ?
The politicians in Nigeria are all the same ...they are yet to learn the rules of the game at the expense of the poor masses.
may GOD helps us all,who then should be the messieh?IBB OR ATIKU,i want rabiu to pls my brother explain to me what an average northaner ve benefited for maximum 38yrs the north ruled this 9ja,i will be very happy if people like omar former gov,of old kd can come out then we can talk, Remember that this people are not really interested 4 northern agender but .... u know.just tell me wat an average northaner ve benefited then i will reply u.Is it free Education? Is it youth empowernment? waiting...

Rabiu Jibrin said:
I am not surprised at all to hear the Vice president saying that the people and Governors of the North are behind the Presidents Ambition to run in the 2011 race. this is because he is a direct benficiary of Goodluck Jonathan goodwill to assume that office of the Vice President. i want him to remember that sycophoncy by those close to him are just doing so for their selfish interest, you should know that in a country where almost every is not working or workng in less than 20%, is that the yardstick for Nigerians especially the Northers to elect Goodluck. unless the PDP intents rigging the elections again if not Goodluck has no credentials of being the Messiah Nigerians have been waiting for, remember he has been just like his name lucky but there are stages in life where results take precedence over luck, any way with everything being equal and God on our side we will wait for time to see if Nigerians are trully behind him (Goodluck) or otherwise ?
I for one dont support IBB or Atiku, but i want a situation where the field will be open free and fair because IBB, Atiku and Goodluck are not materials for reviving the battered image Nigeria. Rater than support those who had power thrusted on them lets look and pray for those who achieved greatness thru their work thats what i have been praying 4 9ja 4 quite some time now please join me and others to pray to God to see a better Nigeria come 2011 and beyound
Anybody making noise against Goodluck Jonathan's ambition from the North is doing so to attract unnecessary attention believing that by so doing so, he shall be call for an appointment. Lie. Let them make those empty noise, we are behind you and Sambo. The future is very clear, not bumpy and not even dusty, but very smooth. God has a purpose for this choice. Oh, for the very first time Nigeria and Nigerians are now focused. God may your name be praise forever and ever, Amen.
good talk rabiu, by the grace of God,9ja will be great again....thanks..joining u in prayer.

Rabiu Jibrin said:
I for one dont support IBB or Atiku, but i want a situation where the field will be open free and fair because IBB, Atiku and Goodluck are not materials for reviving the battered image Nigeria. Rater than support those who had power thrusted on them lets look and pray for those who achieved greatness thru their work thats what i have been praying 4 9ja 4 quite some time now please join me and others to pray to God to see a better Nigeria come 2011 and beyound
@ Rabiu just hear yourself,if you where the vp will you go against your boss choice,do you know how vp sambo got there?why was it not another gov.pls the vp is right...but how do you know that gooluck has no credentials,what thermometer did you use?we need to be cautious on how we creticise other..lets do them wt facts and figures.let Gods will be done and lets think of how to move Nigeria forward
Zoning is wrong in general, but the alternative of IBB or Atiku is no choice at all, so as it stands Goodluck is the best alternative. What a choice, between the devil of the north, the devils of the past or the devil that we have.
If the north didn't back down from the zoning challenge, then it may have been civil war in the making. So they made a wise choice for now.
If IBB becomes president, I doubt he'll use the money he stole from the country to better the country instead just fattening his pocket and we will suffer, same with Atiku.
As for goodluck, credentials or not, he is a devil that has not burned us before, so I'll take a new person picking my pocket than someone picking my pocket a second time.
"you fool me once, shame on you. If you fool me twice, shame on me."
Ehannire Theodore Osas McTimothy said:
@ Rabiu just hear yourself,if you where the vp will you go against your boss choice,do you know how vp sambo got there?why was it not another gov.pls the vp is right...but how do you know that gooluck has no credentials,what thermometer did you use?we need to be cautious on how we creticise other..lets do them wt facts and figures.let Gods will be done and lets think of how to move Nigeria forward
Mr Fedelis just hear yourself are your factual or sentimental because i said the President has no proven credentials why dont you conveince me if i am right or wrong rather than just shouting, i for one is nobody and looking for nothing but the true situation of things on ground, i am very passionate about this country thats why i am talking if not lets wait and see. If he had been more focused on work and has started bringing results it would have been a proper candidate for the post. but he has been sizing people to see if the ground will be good or not, remember we the educated and priviledge are just a small fraction of the countries population who unless rigged will vote for performance and credentials rather than sentiments or opportunity. time will certainly tell

Fidelis Daboer said:
Anybody making noise against Goodluck Jonathan's ambition from the North is doing so to attract unnecessary attention believing that by so doing so, he shall be call for an appointment. Lie. Let them make those empty noise, we are behind you and Sambo. The future is very clear, not bumpy and not even dusty, but very smooth. God has a purpose for this choice. Oh, for the very first time Nigeria and Nigerians are now focused. God may your name be praise forever and ever, Amen.
I think every reasonable person ought to support Jonathan Presidency, because for the few months hes been ruling, we have experience peace, infrstructural improvement and in general there has been hope in the land. And for the gap toothed General, the old man should know by now that it is wrong for those older than our Country because of there lack of ideals which is fast diminishing day by day. IBB should know the Year 2010 is a year of failure for anyone called "MARADONA", let him lear how the original Maradona from Argentina was defeated in South African 2010 World Cup inspite of his numerous tricks, let it be a food for thought.

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2021   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service