How we can stop Election Rigging in Nigeria via Open data

Hi all

I was just watching Tim Berners-Lee talk on Open data.. see link below

And it just hit me.. We can stop the Greed politicians from rigging the next Paliamentry and Presidential election by just using mobile technology/ via the power of Open data.

how can you participate..? Every nigerian resident with a mobile phone can participate. Details shortly..

For more information please contact [email protected]

http://www.ted.com/talks/tim_berners_lee_the_year_open_data_went_wo...

Views: 1161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Open data is a potent tool but can only be useful in the Nigerian context insofar as the underlying contribution is authoritative and reliable.

It is no secret that some politicians employ thuggery to ensure their emergence in the polls. It can thus be deduced that they have the infrastructure to flood the mainstream with meaningless and conflicting data in order to imprint their trademark of confusion and mayhem during elections.

Attempts have been made to declare results at polling station level. I think this has been a good step. It would be interesting, though, to see how the mobile technology you've mentioned comes to play here.
Hi Tede
Thanks for your interest,
It good to know that someone have the same interest the way I do.
Now, the Idea is not to stop election rigging but rather to be able to provide solid evidence of "rigged election" that could be able to stand in the court of law.
Using the power of the web (Tribal, Open data and Cloud computing and Six laws of Separation)

The Stakeholders who might be interested in this initiative are;

All the opposition parties in Nigeria.
General Mohamed Buhari (retired)
The Nigerian Labour Union
All independent Election monitors.
All Nigerian Independent Journalists.
The Nigerian Student Union
National Youth Service Corps
The Nigerian Market women.
National Union of Road Transport Workers.. etc.

The Stakeholders who might be against this Initiative are: (left it out for security Reasons) :-)
For me, Election rigging can be stopped through a tripartite model which i clearly espoused in my book (awaiting a formal presentation-entitled, Democracy, the Nigerian experience) reorientation program by a responsive government; vigilance or astute pro-activism by the masses; and the appointment of a credible Nigerian with high pedigree(a high profiled person who has his or her name to dent if the count-down and outcome of elections are poorly managed). Above all, the Comrade Oshiomhole's story in Edo State is a typical example of a determined masses and a Governorship candidate of a party; whom were denied victory by a suspicious umpire, in the final analysis, the people insisted that he won, even threaten to declare him their Governor elect before the Tribunal and the Court of Appeal reinstated him. The credible aspirant must mobilize the people to know their limits in an electoral contest; be prepared to encourage them to sustain the struggle for the enthronement of their beloved candidate especially, when the umpire (INEC) is one that is negatively predictable. The masses to my mind "are a time bomb, waiting for the credible circumstance and leader to detonate it". Nigeria will get there, if we all freely express our agitations from a legitimate angle even in a rugged format.
There might be a problem with regulating the number of votes per person, what happens if I have 3 Sim cards?
Worth giving a try.
Hallo Voctoria

There might be a problem with regulating the number of votes per person, what happens if I have 3 Sim cards>>
Thanks for your curiosity, I love it when people ask questions, that shows interest.

The Idea is not that people should do online voting, but rather.. people should Send text message to a specific number during the voting day..

Example
*#35*82*12:54#

Our system.. will decode the message as

35 = You are on zone 35(INEC Zone Voting Boot)
12 = You saw 12 people at this time waiting to vote..
12:54 = The time you made your observation is 12:54..
Additionally you can also send us an MMS, if you network support it.. (a picture )

If you are a voluntier you are required to periodically update your status every 30 mins until the voting time is over

Note.. Constitutionally there is a specific number of votes needed to win the election right?
Most of the rigging involes inflating the figures.. right..?
Some will argue.. if the Obersver send the wrong data.. what will happen..?

There is a term called Outliners in statistics. :-)

I don't what to give too much away.. I am still working on the concept.. :-)
For futher quesiton please send me a mail at
[email protected]
It make sense. But western world are still using balot papers talkless of our Naija where NEPA is Asorock. Not until the problem of electricity and communication is taken as a must in Nigeria, I do not see how the text system of election will work.

The configuration is not the problem, but how will it be publicized ? How will the result be broadcasted ? Indeed, I commend your sense of reasoning. I hope we live to see the Moses of Nigeria one day.

Look, I do not know where you are based, but you can see the possibility of everyone communicating and contributing to this issue; it's an effort and reasoning of one person. That is why it's often said that one person can make a different.

Thank you and God bless.

Edwin Aka said:
Hallo Voctoria

There might be a problem with regulating the number of votes per person, what happens if I have 3 Sim cards>>
Thanks for your curiosity, I love it when people ask questions, that shows interest.

The Idea is not that people should do online voting, but rather.. people should Send text message to a specific number during the voting day..

Example

Additionally you can also send us an MMS, if you network support it.. (a picture )

If you are a voluntier you are required to periodically update your status every 30 mins until the voting time is over

Note.. Constitutionally there is a specific number of votes needed to win the election right?

[email protected]
Dear Mr Emmanuel Idogho

Thanks for your contribution.

Given Nigerian Election as a case study ."E-Monitoring"

The part of the western world I am based at the moment which is Center of Europe do have e-voting in some communities.
The reason why there is no general acceptance of e-voting in Europe (CH) could be this..
Only about 40 % of eligible voters cast their vote during election and referendum.
More than 70 % of the eligible voters are pensioners, hence there is a common fear among the ruling Elites that if there is general implementation of e-voting, they (the ruling party may lose their majority).
Why? Because the young voters, are reluctant to go to the polling booths early on Saturday morning.

Lots of Literatures are available on this topic. (I have not explore them in-depth)

The Nigerian factor: NEPA is not relevant, when it comes to e-voting. An average Nigerian Charges his Mobile phone with (Generator). And INEC with the resources/funding they have at the moment can provide Generators.

The crucial factor is voter registration.
If we know the number of registered voters in a community, plus the number of eligible voters, then we can project the outcome of the result. When combined with Opinion polls conducted in the community via our E-Monitoring/E-Mobile system.

The concept at the moment is not about e-voting. But rather, E-Monitoring.
The idea is to guarantee that the people who, will be making law for us in the near future are actually the People's choice.. And not the Cabals.. As the case use to be..

As I said earlier, this Idea is still in the conceptual phase. But, there are provision in the concept to involve European election monitors, CNN, Jimmy carter foundation and host of others.
If this project works for Nigerian, we can expand it to the rest of the continent (Africa)
You, Ideas are worth a million. It's all about increasing the body of knowledge
Best Regards
Thanks for replying, I can see that this is something that you have serioulsy considered, but there a loops, in several comments that make sense, you might want to see how compartible it is to Nigeria, hacking might be an issue, but if it works great I think that these are thoughts that we should dwell on, transparency, dedication, and hard work, it will be nice to see a Nigeria like that.
Edwin Aka said:
Hallo Voctoria

Example

[email protected]
The point is not to eliminate fraud but o reduce it. Nothing can be eliminated. I think the idea is to apply a preventive measure. Like I mentioned earlier in this discussion is about the basic infrastures such as steady eletricity , broadband communication service that will enable flow of information to be aired. Otherwise in a civilized society there are alway underdog inteligents that capitalized on the loopholes to undo a system.

As you know, there is nothing wrong in failure but failure to try. The worst that can happen is not to try at all.

Remember, a journey of thousand miles start with a footstep.

Bridget Nzeribe said:
hahahaha wat a gud suggestion.no matter hw hard we try 2 prevent rigging it wld still happen.
Looking for Nigerian University Students with Internet Access.. to help out in Nigeria based Research Project..: 20:000 Naira for 20 Hours of work. Please contact at [email protected] Please provide your contact information and a short description of your profile/CV.

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2021   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service