Electoral Integrity; The road to sustainable development. By Olewuike Daniel

The quest for good governance and development dates back to both military regime, and present democratic government since 1999. We should note however that electoral integrity has been a major problem in Nigeria which vis a’ vis has led to truncating Nigeria’s quest to reap the fruits of good governance and sustainable development

Electoral Integrity is a difficult concept to define but an essential element of a democratic government system. Electoral Integrity is inherent to the principles of democracy. It contributes to the administration of free and fair elections, without which democracy would be compromised.

The need for electoral integrity cannot stand without the involvement of students(youths), electoral observers which includes independent observers, civil society coalitions and the media, given way to fair, transparent, and equitable election administration.

An election is the outcome of a complex process requiring the participation of a multituple of players. There are winners and losers in every election. The stakes are high, and the temptation is great to ensure victory through illegal or morally questionable means. Election results can be rigged to predetermine who will win or lose. An election can be disrupted, casting doubt on the legitimacy of the process. In all an election without integrity subverts the purpose of a democratic election, and cannot be considered fair and equitable.

Nigeria has gone through regimes Electoral umpires in this quest of maintaining electoral integrity and building good governance and integrity. Students and youth alike are not left out in ensuring that Nigeria attains this level, looking at the fact that they play a major role in ensuring that elections sanctity are not tempered with but the wish of the people are maintained.

It is important to note that good systems expose and combat electoral corruption, and ensure integrity. The priority of most electoral agencies is to create an electoral system that imposes checks and balances on the activities of election administrators. The legal framework sets out electoral integrity protection mechanisms and defines the institutional structure supporting it. Under the legal framework, the authority of each branch and each position within the election administration can be delegated and limited to ensure that checks are in place and abuse of the system is prevented.

.Given socio-political rivalries and the threat of electoral corruption, Electoral integrity cannot be taken for granted. Mechanisms for maintaining and implementing integrity need to be established within the very organizations that administer elections. These mechanisms must make it possible to monitor actions of the electoral administration; they must ensure oversight of the electoral process by other government sectors or agencies, civil society, and the media; and they must provide for enforcement of rules and regulations through administrative or legal means

Electoral integrity is particularly important; without effective enforcement, the best rules and regulations are merely good intentions. It is necessary to establish enforcement mechanisms so that anyone breaching election legislation is stopped and prosecuted in a timely, professional and non-partisan manner. Effective law enforcement will help not only to maintain the integrity of the process but also to prevent future problems.
Above all the efforts and contribution of students to nurturing our country’s democracy over the years has played a major role on what we have today, but this however can be built on and harnessed to ensure that electoral integrity, good governance and development in the country is sustained with the aim of improving the well being of individuals living in the country. Edo state can set a pace for development in the country come July 14th, if we all join our hands to ensure that the electoral process leading to good governance is peaceful, free and fair.

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The only way to have credible and dependable people at the helm of affairs in this country is through credible polls.  We therefore have no choice than to get it right else nothing will move as expected.

Credibility is something that has been so far fetched in this country. But am sure Nigerians will open their eyes from partisan voting and focus their attention on candidates ability to perform given issues on ground.

Rome was not built in day.  Nigerians are gradually becoming conscious of the fact that partisanship has failed us and since we must move forward, we hve eschew that and embrace credibility at elections.

Olewuike Daniel Uchenna said:

Credibility is something that has been so far fetched in this country. But am sure Nigerians will open their eyes from partisan voting and focus their attention on candidates ability to perform given issues on ground.

partisanship n voting 4 an indvdual had both failed us, a quientessential is d pdp n Gudluck J respectively. D best tin is 4 9jrians 2 able 2 change wit d changing state of things, i.e voting 4 d party when d present d best pple e.g AC and d individual when he is d best regardless of his or her party.

Charles Ugochukwu Okere said:

Rome was not built in day.  Nigerians are gradually becoming conscious of the fact that partisanship has failed us and since we must move forward, we hve eschew that and embrace credibility at elections.

Olewuike Daniel Uchenna said:

Credibility is something that has been so far fetched in this country. But am sure Nigerians will open their eyes from partisan voting and focus their attention on candidates ability to perform given issues on ground.

The path to true democracy has never been smooth and easy.  We shall definitely get there but we have to remain focused and persistent.

otti mathias said:

partisanship n voting 4 an indvdual had both failed us, a quientessential is d pdp n Gudluck J respectively. D best tin is 4 9jrians 2 able 2 change wit d changing state of things, i.e voting 4 d party when d present d best pple e.g AC and d individual when he is d best regardless of his or her party.

Charles Ugochukwu Okere said:

Rome was not built in day.  Nigerians are gradually becoming conscious of the fact that partisanship has failed us and since we must move forward, we hve eschew that and embrace credibility at elections.

Olewuike Daniel Uchenna said:

Credibility is something that has been so far fetched in this country. But am sure Nigerians will open their eyes from partisan voting and focus their attention on candidates ability to perform given issues on ground.

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2022   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service