Between Religion and Humanism, Which is More Important?

I don’t think religion should be made a priority. Humanity should be made a priority. If we continue to wipe away the human race in the name of religion, then who would be left on the planet to worship the gods of our various religions? What then would be the essence of religion when there’s no one to practice it? Whether a Christian or Muslim, the best way to be a good ambassador to your faith is NOT by proclaiming it or being religious, but by portraying your adherence to it through your obedience to its laws and teachings.

People should be able to say “he’s a Christian” or “he’s a Muslim” by the character you portray. And you don’t have to be a Christian or Muslim to portray a good character. In fact there are many atheists who portray better characters than some so-called Christians and Muslims.

There’s no such thing as a bad Christian or a bad Muslim. It’s either you’re a Christian or you’re not, or you’re a Muslim or you’re not. I view the extremism of religious practice as psychotic. It could lead to insanity. It misguides the followers. You should be able to balance the physical world with the spiritual world. There ought to be fun in everything you do. Fun lightens up the heart. Our Creator would want us to have fun, even in worshipping Him. He doesn’t wants us to live miserably in the physical world and then hope for a glorious after-life.

Humanity has been in existence longer than religion. Culture is embedded in diverse ways in humanity. Therefore if we can absorb the best attributes of humanism to balance our religious extremism and hypocrisy, then we would be more tolerant with one another, despite our religious differences. We would discover the importance of human lives, and that would be paramount to our different beliefs.

If we cannot unite as a nation, and as one people due to the barrier of our religious and cultural differences, then we should unite as one human race by absorbing the best attributes of humanism in our different religions and cultures. If not for our survival, we should do it for the survival of our posterity. We shouldn’t let our past determine our future.

We need to expand our horizons and plan for Nigeria to be truly the GIANT of Africa, not only in terms of population, but also economically, politically, socially, and most of all, in terms of integrity. It can happen. And it starts by making efforts.

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's no way we can seperate religion from humanism because the two are inter-woven. Remember that human existence will not have much meaning without religion. Religion is the building block of human complexity and the phenomenon that rightfully distinghuished us from the lower animal. Religion is primordial because it sprang from the emergence of human race on earth, therefore, religion cannot and can never be relegated to the background at all. Relegating religion will surely mark the demise of philosophical and thinking man from the surface of the earth and replaced it with H*** Erectus, H*** Habili and Neartherdal man.
Please do your research deeply, you are wrong to say that human came before religion. The emergence of human race simultaenously ushered in the religion. The problem being faced in the world today cannot be totally attributed to human but also to nature and environment. Even without religion or making it less important as being done in Europe and other developed nation man will still be what they are created to be.
my bro dont be naive and be thinking in euphemism...islam is akin to terror and they practice the preach...u should centre ur message on rebuke and hiiting the nail appropriately not an irony full of words
jimoh lanre said:
my bro dont be naive and be thinking in euphemism...islam is akin to terror and they practice the preach...u should centre ur message on rebuke and hiiting the nail appropriately not an irony full of words
This is not a platform for grammar Lanre. I have said the truth. You either take or ignore it. Religion has ever take a centre stage in human existence. I am not against any religion. Man inhumanity against themselves is something genetically built into human being by nature. Those that found themselves in harsh topography like desert or somewhere like Artic region are bound to be hard and violent. This can be said of the ancient Vikings of the Scandinavian countries of Europe and this made them to explore beyond and outside their frontier to the New World of America. The Arabs and Jews are not left out from this too, therefore, I see religion as a social subsystem that tame the excessive violence in man. Religion is essential in human life and this is confirmed by Albert Einstein of Modern Science that said, "Religion without science is lame and science without religion is blind.
Human existence without religion is a farce. Remove religion from man and man becomes an empty vessel, without direction and hopeless. Religion is pri-mordial and serves to direct human begins, giving meaning to life. Religion is an integral part of human existence. Religion is all about belief and everyone believes in something. Even an atheist believes in something. The problem of Nigeria today is not religion per se, because no religions teaches its adherents to kill, maim or disrrupt public peace. The problem lies with the practioners. Same bible, same koran, but different interpretations and applications. But all in all, human beings and religion are inseparable.
Mr. Salami! I think u have little understanding of what I'm saying here. You should first of all grasp the full understanding of humanism and religion. Religion comes from "religare," which is to bind, or have union with, etc. so humans throughout our history have been seeking this union. Yoga, in Sanskrit, means union.

Humanism is a belief based on the values, characteristics, and behavior that are believed to be best in human beings. It believes that human can make a better life for itself by shared values and experience. In my discussion, I only suggested that we absorb the best attributes of humanism to help us tolerate one another's religions and cultures, not to separate religion from humanism. Humanism itself is a form of belief or religion. It doesnt believe in the existence of the supernatural or the superstitious.

Once again, I repeat that human have been in existence longer than religion. You do the research. Find out what is religion and how religion emerged and was succeeded by other religions due to civilization.
To be frank, religion is not important to God as human life that is why Christ practiced Judaism but his teachings relays Christianity. Those who are killing in the name of religion are led by
(1) Cannibalism. They are human eaters who live in the bush and tree tops.
(2) Political criminals who use religion to cover up or pretend
(3) Animals who do not have human feelings
(4) Occult grand masters who use illiterate zombies to feed their gods with blood
(5) Monsters and demons.
Let me give this five...WAEC standard.
It's only those who are fools fight for religion b/cos on my own point of view religion is in the heart not in appearance. I'm a christian; I'm a muslim, are you acting like one. so dear brother DEO you have said it all that it is not been religious, I'm this; I'm that, but through your obedience to its laws and teachings. so the question to ask is; killing and fighting for religion is it the support from their God or gods? please lets thinks twice. thinking in euphemism isn't the main issue now but my own mind is that we should know whom we serve and the way of serving him till the last day because that end will always justify the means. than killing ourselves all in the name of religion.
Okafo you have said it all, for they are nothing in religions field than a occults grand master who takes human blood to the gods they claim to be serving to increase their power. So Okafo, I have answer your WAEC standard question

Tontable Okafo said:
To be frank, religion is not important to God as human life that is why Christ practiced Judaism but his teachings relays Christianity. Those who are killing in the name of religion are led by
(1) Cannibalism. They are human eaters who live in the bush and tree tops.
(2) Political criminals who use religion to cover up or pretend
(3) Animals who do not have human feelings
(4) Occult grand masters who use illiterate zombies to feed their gods with blood
(5) Monsters and demons.
Let me give this five...WAEC standard.
Mr. Salami! I think u have little understanding of what I'm saying here. You should first of all grasp the full understanding of humanism and religion. Religion comes from "religare," which is to bind, or have union with, etc. so humans throughout our history have been seeking this union. Yoga, in Sanskrit, means union.

Humanism is a belief based on the values, characteristics, and behavior that are believed to be best in human beings. It believes that human can make a better life for itself by shared values and experience. In my discussion, I only suggested that we absorb the best attributes of humanism to help us tolerate one another's religions and cultures, not to separate religion from humanism. Humanism itself is a form of belief or religion. It doesnt believe in the existence of the supernatural or the superstitious.

Once again, I repeat that human have been in existence longer than religion. You do the research. Find out what is religion and how religion emerged and was succeeded by other religions due to civilization.

Lateef Salami said:
There's no way we can seperate religion from humanism because the two are inter-woven. Remember that human existence will not have much meaning without religion. Religion is the building block of human complexity and the phenomenon that rightfully distinghuished us from the lower animal. Religion is primordial because it sprang from the emergence of human race on earth, therefore, religion cannot and can never be relegated to the background at all. Relegating religion will surely mark the demise of philosophical and thinking man from the surface of the earth and replaced it with H*** Erectus, H*** Habili and Neartherdal man.
Please do your research deeply, you are wrong to say that human came before religion. The emergence of human race simultaenously ushered in the religion. The problem being faced in the world today cannot be totally attributed to human but also to nature and environment. Even without religion or making it less important as being done in Europe and other developed nation man will still be what they are created to be.
Awesum......

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2021   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service