Sometimes ago I posted an article about the high rate of politicking in the country. I even cited some examples like Joy Emordi(who sometime ago insulted ASUU), Ondo and Edo State Houses of Assembly saga. My conclusion was that, if something like that had never occurred in some other quarters, then they should expect one soon.
Few days ago, the Speaker of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly was impeached alongside his deputy. While some ill-cultured Justices were delivering Judgement in favour of Senator Effiong Bob and Ita Enang. I went to vote for the duo on the election day but there was no election in my polling uint as at the time I went to vote. Now, the judges were singing "he was legitimately and legally elected." By who? They did not say. One of the Judges in the Ita Enang was quoted to have said that the case was withouth merit but with competence. What sort of illogical and lawless grammar is that.
bye...

Views: 401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The scenerio in the Akwa-Ibom House of Assembly should be left for theJudiciary to handle. I know the Speaker and his deputy have headed to the court to seek redress. If the court founds merit in their case, then the house should do the right and honourable thing. On the other hand, if they lose, they should take it in good faith. Nigeria is larger than any single individual.
Well thanks for adding that. I missed it.

Charles Ugochukwu Okere said:
The scenerio in the Akwa-Ibom House of Assembly should be left for theJudiciary to handle. I know the Speaker and his deputy have headed to the court to seek redress. If the court founds merit in their case, then the house should do the right and honourable thing. On the other hand, if they lose, they should take it in good faith. Nigeria is larger than any single individual.
As regard the the Akwa Ibom house saga, it's only quite unfortunate that despite all the rule of law and due process sermons heard from the government only a little samblence in practicability is been reflected in some governmental circles or institutions.

Instructively, the members' of that house should be called to order and subsequently made to reinstate the wrongly impeached leadership of the house. Their action was in negation of the prevailing rules guiding the conduct of the house. Why should such a sensitive issue be carried or effected outside the confines of the house of assembly? I even doubt if the symbol of authority the (maze) was in place when the illegal action was taken. Why the sudden rush if there was no political undertone? As leaders, lets always weigh our decisions and actions today because it has the potential to either make or mar our progress tomorrow.

My candid advice for the affected leadership is for her to be patient while the court decides otherwise.
Well thanks for your comment on the article. The Speaker deserved to be impeached. My single reason is that he shouldn't have neglected his duty of regular convening of meetings so as to meet the Constitutional benchmark of 181 times for each legislative session.
Secondly, while I admire your prudent elucidation of the case I urge that strict punishment should always follow any constitutional bridge so that others will have the fear and stay away of bad deeds. A good example is that of the Aregbesola Vs. Oyinlola of Osun state tribunal where the judge said that the "facts presented was not enough to warrant the nullification of Oyinlola's election." Whereas, it was observed that there were some irregularities that needed attention and probably punishment. So such should require heavy punishment such as re-run election or fresh polls.

AROTIMI, LANRE TUNDE said:
As regard the the Akwa Ibom house saga, it's only quite unfortunate that despite all the rule of law and due process sermons heard from the government only a little samblence in practicability is been reflected in some governmental circles or institutions.

Instructively, the members' of that house should be called to order and subsequently made to reinstate the wrongly impeached leadership of the house. Their action was in negation of the prevailing rules guiding the conduct of the house. Why should such a sensitive issue be carried or effected outside the confines of the house of assembly? I even doubt if the symbol of authority the (maze) was in place when the illegal action was taken. Why the sudden rush if there was no political undertone? As leaders, lets always weigh our decisions and actions today because it has the potential to either make or mar our progress tomorrow.

My candid advice for the affected leadership is for her to be patient while the court decides otherwise.
It is one thing to impeach the speaker and his deputy for "gross misconduct", it is another to follow the rule of law in the impeachment. From information gathered, the impeachment was carried out outside the hallowed chambers of the house and most likely the maze was not in place. That speaks volume of the illegality of the impeachment. Recall that during the first tenure of Peter Obi in Anambra State, this same scenario played out and the court nullified the impeachment on the grounds that due process was not followed in the course of the impeachment. The members of the Akwa Ibom House of Assembly should have been patient enough to observe a simple due process in the impeachment. Why the rush if they had a genuine case to impeach him? What were they afraid of? However, we should allow the law to take its course and like I said earlier, if at the end of the day, the court nullifies the impeachment, the "Honourable" members of the house should be bold enough to own their mistakes and re-instate them.



Nnanake Offiong said:
Well thanks for your comment on the article. The Speaker deserved to be impeached. My single reason is that he shouldn't have neglected his duty of regular convening of meetings so as to meet the Constitutional benchmark of 181 times for each legislative session.
Secondly, while I admire your prudent elucidation of the case I urge that strict punishment should always follow any constitutional bridge so that others will have the fear and stay away of bad deeds. A good example is that of the Aregbesola Vs. Oyinlola of Osun state tribunal where the judge said that the "facts presented was not enough to warrant the nullification of Oyinlola's election." Whereas, it was observed that there were some irregularities that needed attention and probably punishment. So such should require heavy punishment such as re-run election or fresh polls.

AROTIMI, LANRE TUNDE said:
As regard the the Akwa Ibom house saga, it's only quite unfortunate that despite all the rule of law and due process sermons heard from the government only a little samblence in practicability is been reflected in some governmental circles or institutions.

Instructively, the members' of that house should be called to order and subsequently made to reinstate the wrongly impeached leadership of the house. Their action was in negation of the prevailing rules guiding the conduct of the house. Why should such a sensitive issue be carried or effected outside the confines of the house of assembly? I even doubt if the symbol of authority the (maze) was in place when the illegal action was taken. Why the sudden rush if there was no political undertone? As leaders, lets always weigh our decisions and actions today because it has the potential to either make or mar our progress tomorrow.

My candid advice for the affected leadership is for her to be patient while the court decides otherwise.
If it is true that the impeachment proceedings were carried out outside the State Assembly Complex and above all without the symbol of authority, the mace, then all the 22 members who undersigned the purported impeachment letter are fools and by that single act do not deserve to have been elected into the State Assembly.

Charles Ugochukwu Okere said:
It is one thing to impeach the speaker and his deputy for "gross misconduct", it is another to follow the rule of law in the impeachment. From information gathered, the impeachment was carried out outside the hallowed chambers of the house and most likely the maze was not in place. That speaks volume of the illegality of the impeachment. Recall that during the first tenure of Peter Obi in Anambra State, this same scenario played out and the court nullified the impeachment on the grounds that due process was not followed in the course of the impeachment. The members of the Akwa Ibom House of Assembly should have been patient enough to observe a simple due process in the impeachment. Why the rush if they had a genuine case to impeach him? What were they afraid of? However, we should allow the law to take its course and like I said earlier, if at the end of the day, the court nullifies the impeachment, the "Honourable" members of the house should be bold enough to own their mistakes and re-instate them.



Nnanake Offiong said:
Well thanks for your comment on the article. The Speaker deserved to be impeached. My single reason is that he shouldn't have neglected his duty of regular convening of meetings so as to meet the Constitutional benchmark of 181 times for each legislative session.
Secondly, while I admire your prudent elucidation of the case I urge that strict punishment should always follow any constitutional bridge so that others will have the fear and stay away of bad deeds. A good example is that of the Aregbesola Vs. Oyinlola of Osun state tribunal where the judge said that the "facts presented was not enough to warrant the nullification of Oyinlola's election." Whereas, it was observed that there were some irregularities that needed attention and probably punishment. So such should require heavy punishment such as re-run election or fresh polls.

AROTIMI, LANRE TUNDE said:
As regard the the Akwa Ibom house saga, it's only quite unfortunate that despite all the rule of law and due process sermons heard from the government only a little samblence in practicability is been reflected in some governmental circles or institutions.

Instructively, the members' of that house should be called to order and subsequently made to reinstate the wrongly impeached leadership of the house. Their action was in negation of the prevailing rules guiding the conduct of the house. Why should such a sensitive issue be carried or effected outside the confines of the house of assembly? I even doubt if the symbol of authority the (maze) was in place when the illegal action was taken. Why the sudden rush if there was no political undertone? As leaders, lets always weigh our decisions and actions today because it has the potential to either make or mar our progress tomorrow.

My candid advice for the affected leadership is for her to be patient while the court decides otherwise.
You may be right. But then I would advice you to write your own and let's see how it goes. Fraudulent ke?

Bridget Nzeribe said:
Fraudulent selections

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2022   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service