Someone once said there are 5 persons everybody needs in his life. These 5 persons are a lawyer, a doctor, a pastor or an imam, a financial adviser and a mentor.
Whether you agree that you need these people or not, I’m sure you must consult a lawyer under the following circumstances, unless you’re ready to take a deadly risk.
1. When you’re arrested by the law enforcement agencies and you’re asked to make a statement, you need your lawyer. You’re likely to implicate yourself unnecessarily when you write a statement without having consulted with your lawyer.
2. When you have to sign a contractual document, it is safe you allow your lawyer to read the document first. It might be a Memorandum of Understanding, Joint Venture agreement, Hire Purchase contract and so on.
3. When you have a transaction with institutions like an insurance company or a bank, you need your lawyer. It takes a lawyer to understand the full legal implications of the clauses in such transactions. For instances, to avoid taking a wrong credit facility, you need your lawyer as much as you may need your financial adviser.
4. When you have a compensation claim to make with government or a corporate body, you need your lawyer to protect your interest adequately. Imagine a situation where your property is acquired or destroyed by the government, your lawyer needs to come in.
5. When you need to re-claim your premises from a tenant, you need your lawyer. In a landlord/tenant relationship, you need your lawyer to forestall taking a wrong step.
If you want to learn more about this, visit my blog at www.lawforeverybody.com.