Ways and how to reduce electricity and save cost of bills
What are power consuming household appliances?
Power consuming household appliances are electrical devices that continuously draw power from power outlets, even when they are not supplying any useful service. A very good example of a consuming device which is power vampires is the power adapter for halogen lights. However, for a modern homes devices may range from 10 to 30 devices consuming power such as the; television sets, home theaters, Computers, Printers, cell phone chargers, high watt bulbs among the most common power consumers. The rule still remains that the more the electronic gadget in your home, the more power is being consumed.
WAYS AND HOW TO REDUCE ELECTRICITY BILLS AND SAVE MONEY
The only way is to identify the power vampire’s appliances in your homes and offices; this will reduce immensely the consumption of the electricity. When these had been identified, then managing the power consumption can be maintained.
Below are common devices and appliances that are power vampires:
- Laptop chargers
- DVD players
- Fax machines
- DVD recorders
- Answering machines
- Digital video recorders
- Photocopier with paper sorter
- Phone chargers
- Cable boxes
- Hubs and routers
- Cable modems
- iPod chargers
- Video camera battery charger
OFTEN A POWER VAMPIRE APPLIANCES CONSUMING YOUR ELECTRICITY POWER
- LCD monitor
- Photocopier without paper sorter
- Audio system
- Plugged-in electric toys
Quick Tip: Any equipment with a small, black “power brick” is a power vampire. So is any equipment that stays warm after it has been turned off for a while.
Since some of the vampire appliances and devices consuming power had been identified, below is how to ensure they do not cost you your fortune in paying for electricity bills.
- Unplug all appliances when not in use either they are supplying power or not. Smaller gadgets may look like they are not consuming but they are the smaller vampires that consume power unknowingly to you.
- Ensure you switch off wall power sockets when leaving the house; leaving the house without switching out the wall socket can be so dangerous. Besides the hazard it may cause, you will be surprised that when you return back home your electric meter would have increased and which can make you spend money on unnecessarily electrical bills.
- Make use of the Energy conserving Bulbs; Most of the bulbs we use at home are one of the greatest power vampires, such bulbs are of 40, 60,100Watts. They may be tempting especially when they illuminate brightly but they are power consuming bulbs. Rather than using these bulbs, power saving bulbs which are of 20-30Watts.
- Invest in renewable energy source such as solar energy; One of the benefit of using the solar energy is that sun energy is free and harnessing the sun rays can be so advantageous, even if conventional electricity is not available, solar energy via solar panels, charge controllers, solar deep cycle batteries and inverters can be installed at your home or office to ensure you have uninterrupted power supply.
If you are ready to take a step towards going solar, contact us and we will guide you through the process. Visit our online store for prices and technical specifications of our products
Mr. Michael Edun is a Senior Technical writer and IT Manager at PSC SOLAR (UK) LTD. Lagos, Nigeria. – 08120855444. 08123655444
Please Feel Free to Post Your Comments …………….