INHERITANCE RIGHTS OF WIDOWS

Under customary law in all parts of Edo State, a widow cannot inherit in the intestate estate of her deceased husband. As noted earlier on, the widow is in fact regarded as part of the estate to be inherited by the son or relative.

However with regard to a widow of a customary law marriage, on the intestacy of the husband, she is disinherited completely under the various customary laws in the country despite any contributions she might have made to the man’s success.

No system of customary law in Nigeria confers a beneficial right in a widow in the deceased husband’s estate except indirect benefits through her children’s rights, if any. In fact she herself is property to be inherited.

Views: 123

Comment

You need to be a member of Vanguard Online Community to add comments!

Join Vanguard Online Community

Comment by Arun Kumar on May 6, 2019 at 7:22am

Looking the online here all function for change icons windows 10 and access the batter setting in your computer.

Comment by UMWENI Omoruyi on January 3, 2013 at 7:34am

You need to do an affidavit (i.e. swear on oath) with a lawyer (Notary Public) or in front of a Commissioner for Oath in a Court before you then go to a newspaper for the purpose of widely circulating the notice of change of name. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot just go to a newspaper whether you are a man or woman and just declare that you want your name to be change.

Comment by UMWENI Omoruyi on December 13, 2012 at 3:59pm

In pleading, further and better particularsrefers to additional information required to provide sufficient accuracy with respect to a set of pleaded facts in an earlier document.

4.1 I have sold my few houses and undeveloped lands since 04/07/1988.The new owner of 16.Oba Adolor Crescent. Benin City (ENAWEDERHU OGBEIDE) has graciously allowed me and my wife to remain and live there for life, FREE OF CHARGE. In addition he has provided for us OUR FINAL RESTING PLACE within the premises. God bless him. (Controversy)

4.2 My wife, Mabel Atotikolo is however to continue. to collect and enjoy exclusively the Rents from lOA and 10B lsiruhe Strect, Benin City until she dies. It is only then and thereafter that my respective children that i sold10A (ITOHAN) and lOB (OSAMUDIAMEN) to can take possession or the above mentioned properties. But in the event of my wife Mabel Atotikolo not surviving me, lOA and lOB lsiruhe Street go to the new owners automatically. (Controversy)

If 10A and 10B Isiruhe street were sold in 1988 how come these same propertlies were under court litigation between 1989 to 1995 Sam Umweni Vs 5 others(B/115/89) and judgment given in favour of the plaintiff

THE IGIOGBE....

(Controversial Igiogbe) In the high court of Justice Edo state of Nigeria in the Benin judicial division held at Benin City before the Honorable Justice G.E. EDOPAYI on the 19th of June 1995.

Suit No.B/15/89…Sam Enadeghe Umweni Vs 5 others

Judgment

“ It is herein declared that in accordance with Benin customary laws of succession the plaintiff as the eldest surviving son of his father late Chief Peter Ogbeide UMWENI, succeeds exclusively at all events to the house lying and situated at and known as No.10 Isiruhe street, Benin city, having performed all burial rites according to benin customary law. It is declared that No. 50 Mission road Ewan Quarters, Oza , passes to the plaintiff under Edo native law and custom as the eldest surviving son.”

Forged title transfer is a crime, even among partners so let wait for them......lol

Comment by UMWENI Omoruyi on November 27, 2012 at 11:59am

Sammy sparkle the great Mathematician! You were ALWAYS a step AHEAD of them all!!! Dem still dey wonder...dem go wonder, wonder, wonder, till them turn to wonderer :=) a rethink... well did he solve any earthly problem NO.."A villain Unmasked" or "a cowardly act”, We forgive by faith, out of obedience. Since forgiveness goes against our nature, we must forgive by faith, whether we feel like it or not. We must trust God to do the work in us that needs to be done so that the forgiveness will be complete.

Forum Categories

© 2019   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service