Would you want to vote on any day excepting Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays? Muslims go for service on Fridays. The Hebrews go for fellowship on Saturdays or Shabbat (Sabbath). Christians go for fellowship on Saturdays and Sundays as well.

Votes held on the above mentioned days would cause some sort of disruption to the spiritual life of the persons concerned if they are devout to their beliefs.

Won't it be proper if the government allows elections on other days excepting Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays to aid spiritual development amongst Nigerians more especially as we get ready for voting in a new set of leadership in 2011?

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now you are talking! You are beginning to see what I have been trying to get through to you guys!

"But let me tell you we are not as advanced as the developed democracy where you reside presently so calling for the kind of drastic change which you advocate is far from been a reality".

That is exactly what I have been trying to say all along, that we are not as advanced hence why should we do as they have told us to do when it took them centuries to get to where they are today and they expect Africa to be there like yesterday.

Like you say, this election should have been a Referandum for the four  or five Regions that will carry the States and a Constitution to go with it. Not this waste of time and money for this hybrid style western democracy. This should have been the way forward and as I can see from where I am, a change is going to take a long way to come!

When I visited in 1981, I was so disgusted with the progress of the place hence my next visit was in 2007! Even now, I am based in other part of  Africa instead of my fatherland because I am so ashamed of what has transpired there when leaders go out into the world, see what is over there but fail to replicate the good things they have seen! Turnkey projects should have transformed Nigeria as it has done for Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Dubai; all oil producing countries like Nigeria!

I can tell you I am a prisoner here because I am not happy to be here and that has been the situation for a long time! If Nigeria had been a well run country, there will be no single Nigerian here in this country and this is a fact! What Mavros alluded to is in my book and I actually told me he should have acknowledge me but he said he thought about it himself. That was when it occured to me that I said democracy must start from the villages, towns and states. There will be no political parties because that is the way the white folks divide their people! The local prople will elect the best persons and then appoint a Chief Executive to run the state like a company! We do not need politics or the politicians! We must be innovative because these systems have been there since after religion movements and must evolve like everything else!

Thank you mr Garvin bond, but coming to the issue of electing representative from the villages upward is like a mirage, these people have been so disparage that they hardly can do anything for themselves, thus the useless politicians have their way. Even at that it is practiced here, and it is called Delegates Election where the delegates who are elected from the ward level are expected to elect those they feel will represent them, but this system has never worked because of the hyper hydra head of poverty, corruption, nepotism, sentiments and othey social ills. These delegates instead of been elected are selected and the do the biddings of those that select them. This has been the case of almost all political parties, even in all the constitutional conferences held, the delegates have always been selected. To me i think before we adopt any model of representation we should start from a drastic change of mindset, where each and everyone of us will have a positive orientation about the nigerian project before we go for referrandum

GAVIN BOND said:

Now you are talking! You are beginning to see what I have been trying to get through to you guys!

"But let me tell you we are not as advanced as the developed democracy where you reside presently so calling for the kind of drastic change which you advocate is far from been a reality".

That is exactly what I have been trying to say all along, that we are not as advanced hence why should we do as they have told us to do when it took them centuries to get to where they are today and they expect Africa to be there like yesterday.

Like you say, this election should have been a Referandum for the four  or five Regions that will carry the States and a Constitution to go with it. Not this waste of time and money for this hybrid style western democracy. This should have been the way forward and as I can see from where I am, a change is going to take a long way to come!

When I visited in 1981, I was so disgusted with the progress of the place hence my next visit was in 2007! Even now, I am based in other part of  Africa instead of my fatherland because I am so ashamed of what has transpired there when leaders go out into the world, see what is over there but fail to replicate the good things they have seen! Turnkey projects should have transformed Nigeria as it has done for Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Dubai; all oil producing countries like Nigeria!

I can tell you I am a prisoner here because I am not happy to be here and that has been the situation for a long time! If Nigeria had been a well run country, there will be no single Nigerian here in this country and this is a fact! What Mavros alluded to is in my book and I actually told me he should have acknowledge me but he said he thought about it himself. That was when it occured to me that I said democracy must start from the villages, towns and states. There will be no political parties because that is the way the white folks divide their people! The local prople will elect the best persons and then appoint a Chief Executive to run the state like a company! We do not need politics or the politicians! We must be innovative because these systems have been there since after religion movements and must evolve like everything else!

While not ignoring the symptoms a permanent solution lies in finding a palliative for the cause. Why does man reign or rule over man to his destruction as is posited in the Scripture book of Luke 6:39:

"'And he spoke also a parable to them: Can a blind man lead a blind man ? shall not both fall into the ditch?"

To harden the analogy supplied 'the blind leading the blind' represents a government of ignorance leading a follower-ship of ignorance. It will be agreed government must exist or there will be anarchy, chaos and all sorts of social and invariably personal disorder which is captured by the word lawlessness which state of affairs must be resisted by the knowing or knowledgeable.

To accept one form of leadership or directionality over another calls for acceptance tacit or contrived and supposes that all parties are consulted and involved in the processes which lead to decision making for the benefit of all the operative desire.

Hence to disenfranchise a segment or group of persons through - in this event I shall say - a mistaken or inadvertent assumption of superiority (since all men are equal) is to deny a true reflection of the desire of the people and the reason why I desired to seek an opinion of the public on the effects of voting days considering as well the peculiar needs of all.

I am well aware the social implications are multitude as already alluded to in an earlier reply as the ideal expectation may be very far from the situational reality as to create those dilemmas which has plagued man since the fall. However I still advocate a common meeting point or place which should serve to assuage the diverse interests located amongst the peoples of Nigeria in particular and the world in extension as propounded by Lenin of Russia expounding on social communism.

It should be understood neocolonialism will still exist whether Nigeria, Africa or the other countries of the world remain together or chose by referendum (the Sudan and other examples) to chart diametrically opposed or parallel existences if those interest inimical to the benefit of man remain unchanged. Look to the root of the tree for a cure. Its branches are symptoms which should not confuse the knowing. Greetings to all.   

How can you say Neo-colonialism will still exist if peoples are no longer ruled from the venter? Your posting started based on relgion; dates for voting.

It therefore does not surprise me when you have cited the scripture book of Luke. Please forgive me if you think I am being rude in asking this question: Did we as black peoples invent Faith? Did we as black peoples write the Bible or Quoran/Koran? This is what I am talking about!

Until we stop trying to find solutions from foreigners who have no comparable traditions and customs with us, we will NEVER find a solution for our problems! Until we stop quoting from their books that were written to control the humans, the elites trying to control the Masses, we shall forever be reliant on forteigners!

As a white commentator said in a radio broadcast in New York, he claimed that black people only read the bible and if they wanted to hide anything from us black peoples, it should be written in a book since we only read the holy books! If you care to find out, we had a civilisation far superior to their before they put a stop to our development by caturing and exporting ourpeoples to their foreign lands, hence those that were left had to start all over again! This is what stopped our evolution and has made us to believe we are inferior because of what we have read in their holy books.

When you have a community and that community can elect their representatives street -by-street and demand development street-by-street, there will be transparency and defunct of political parties; the self will over ride what the external factors bring and I am sure this only needs to start in one state and the rest will follow; as they say, Rome was not built in a day! There is hope for Nigeria; all we need is get it into our heads and believe that we are very good, and even can be better if we stop copying and be the leaders instead of being led by the holy books!

I can NEVER be led by a book and that was why I gave up the faiths. How can a book tell me don't do X,Y, and Z and I will concur and say Yes Boana! No, siree because I have a mind of my own! I am sure somewhere in the scriptures it says'open your eyes and ye shall se'! Without the scriptures, by common sense, we all know 'a blind cannot need another', but now due to evolution and by common sense, that is possible with the aid of a guide dog! 

Is anybody stoping not to serve ur God on this days, pls tell us something else and not to bring religion into our politics.

Religion into politics or politics into religion? Which ever way both systems involve a system of beliefs which show up in practice. 

The aim of the question raised is to create awareness about the necessary freedom every individual requires to exercise civil rights in the area of voting. It should not come as a surprise the days used for voting are calculated to avoid a clash with the religious practices of the populace especially where advanced electoral platforms such as the online voting system is incapable of being deployed for lack of the necessary infrastructure. Why? even the recent data capture machines deployed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) experienced a lot of downtime in most cases as its operators where not familiar with the equipments requirements.

Many examples abound throughout history to show religion plays a great deal in the political field and politics as well is present in the area of religion.   

Okiemute emawhe said:

Is anybody stoping not to serve ur God on this days, pls tell us something else and not to bring religion into our politics.

Ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! indulge me a bit Mr. Bond, but you have just written a book which is composed to lead others or am I in the wrong?

My concern with revolutions is whether they are of the physical or intellectual type. I understand the physical type of revolution changes little as George Orwell in his book 'Animal Farm' has related. I am of the opinion that any revolution which short changes the intellect will revert back to the former state or a worse than the former state.

GAVIN BOND said:

I can NEVER be led by a book and that was why I gave up the faiths. How can a book tell me don't do X,Y, and Z and I will concur and say Yes Boana! No, siree because I have a mind of my own! I am sure somewhere in the scriptures it says'open your eyes and ye shall se'! Without the scriptures, by common sense, we all know 'a blind cannot need another', but now due to evolution and by common sense, that is possible with the aid of a guide dog! 

Since you quote George Orwell from Animal Farm', it shows you are trying to support the intellectuals. The way I understand the book is: the world is a big farm and we are all animals existing or trying to exist in this large environment. I could be wrong but that is my subjective assumption when I read the book!

Intellectuals do not write books to control your thoughts and that is why the Bible and the Quoran are not intellectual books. They are full of assertions that can NEVER be proven or tested like an intellectual book would! Intellectuals or philosophers are responsible for some of the good and bad things that have befallen us on this earth. They can never be removed from any revolutionary process since people like Engels,Marx and Mao helped to shape some of the ideologies we have today. 

The intellectuals might be able to get to the minds of some activists hence a revolution might happen, like it did in the USSR! Most revolutions have NEVER been allowed to take its full course because 'some ideologists' would not allow it. An example is Cuba, that did nothing to warrant the blockade by the USA; while the USA trades with countries like Vietnam that killed many Americans- hypocricy!

My book is to ENLIGHTEN and NOT TO CONTROL! This cannot be said of the Bible or Koran! Intellectuals do not write books to control; they write books to give us knowledge that we may not be aware of; as they say, 'Knowledge Is Power", therefore, intellectuals are important; but NOT BRAINWASHERS!

GAVIN BOND said:
My book is to ENLIGHTEN and NOT TO CONTROL! This cannot be said of the Bible or Koran! Intellectuals do not write books to control; they write books to give us knowledge that we may not be aware of; as they say, 'Knowledge Is Power", therefore, intellectuals are important; but NOT BRAINWASHERS!

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2019   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service