For weeks on, the fire of hate in Jos, Plateau State has raged on. What many said started from a mere arguement over a property has snowballed into  state-wide mayhem of no small proportion. Unconfirmed figures had put the death toll at above a thousand while the once peaceful Jos, a just city regarded as the home of all has been deserted. Not even a dusk to down curfew, nor deployment of  troops by the Army, nor presence of hundreds of heavily armed policemen had been able to quench the fire of hate and fatal anger.

What has gone wrong? Could it be the rumble of  ethnic bad blood, a religious  uprising or total collapse of governance in Nigeria’s Plateau? Why has peace plateaued in Plateau State?

Views: 657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sir,with due respect to Mr.John Jang on the refreshed crisis in B/Ladi localty on 27/01/2010,i think this not the time to be particular about a specific race or tribe.at this material time all hands should be on deck if peace must reign on the Plateau because billion soulders can never return peace to people that are not ready to accomodate each other. Great thanks for this opportunity to be able to respond and contrbute to this very important issue.it is high time all stakeholders on the plateau come together and say enough is enough for this madness, man kind has come of age and there is need for re-orientation on the plateau on human relation.first and foremost we are human being before knowing ourselves to be either Yoruba,Angas,Igbo,Birom,Jarawa,Mangu,Jukun,Igala,Baju,Etilo, Bura,Tiv,Hausa, Nupe.....so thNigeria u know is country full of wonderful nations.All we need is to stay together and contribute to well being of mankind using our cultural diversity as a strength.
Nigeria from the outset is a faulty arrangement. It is this faulty arrangement that has been haunting us and our leaders have not been able to fix things right. There is no reason under the sun why people should right over religion. God is not interested in religious fights because nobody fights for him. Our people are simply bereft of knowledge. The earlier our religious leaders teach their adherents to be tolerant and accomdating, the better for the Nigerian society. This is the only way we can live with and manage this faulty arrangement called Nigeria.
Only God can profer peace to Jos War.
NO SECTION OF THIS COUNTRY HAS THE SUPREME AUTHORITY TO KILL. NOTHING IS WRONG WITH JOS AS A CITY BUT SO MANY THINGS ARE WRONG WITH GOVRNANCE IN PLATEAU. THIS IS A DELIBERATE ATTEMPT TO WIPE OUT SOME SECTIONS OF THE COUNTRY. BUT LET THEM KNOW THAT WHEN IT STARTS THIS TIME AROUND, 1967 WILL SURELY BE A JOKE.
Peace will continue to elude this country until those the who cliam to be religious show character and restraint in the practice of their religion and our leaders learn to call the spade by its true name. Those who run foul of the law should not be treated with kid gloves.
1 Quotation about evil Islam... "Human blood is the life-line of Islam, violence its hallmark, and hate its foundation. In the neginning, Islam lives on the blood of infidels. When that is unavailable, or becomes difficult, Islam must cannibalize itself." i thing those who commited this act are those who misinteprete word. God will never forgive them the bible say thou shall not kill.
Ijebu, you will do us all a great deal of good if you can avail us the source of that insensitive quotation. Calling a religion with global reach 'evil' on this global forum reeks of insensitivity and recklessness. This should be a forum for dialogue, not for unbridled partisanship. I guess our duty is to use this online community as a common platform to finding solutions to our common challenges.

Nobody needs reminding that Nigeria is not the only place where Muslims and Christians live together. Even in many predominantly Muslims nations, the level of mutual mistrust and intolerance is not as high as we have in Nigeria. How many countries in the world boil over, in the name of religion, the way we experience in Nigeria? When last did you hear of serious religious crisis in such African nations as Niger, Mali, Senegal and Chad? Yet they are predominant Muslim countries with Christian minorities. Even the excuse that poverty exacerbates the problem in Nigeria doesn't hold water. The nations mentioned are much poorer than Nigeria. The real problem isn't religion. No doubt, religion may become a weapon deployed by some people who have other motives.

Please, don't blame Islam for the wrongs of some Muslims. Anybody, including a Muslim, may be evil. But to label a religion 'evil' on this platform is unacceptable. We need genuine information. Don't feed us with sentiments. Every religion has a history of wrongs committed by her adherents, sometimes in the name of the religion. I only hope that you've read, dispassionately, the complete history of Christianity and Islam.

ijebu afoke dickson said:
1 Quotation about evil Islam... "Human blood is the life-line of Islam, violence its hallmark, and hate its foundation. In the neginning, Islam lives on the blood of infidels. When that is unavailable, or becomes difficult, Islam must cannibalize itself." i thing those who commited this act are those who misinteprete word. God will never forgive them the bible say thou shall not kill.
Tj, thank you for correcting our dear Ijebu. This forum should not be to crucify a religious sect sentimentally, we should always be objective in our criticism. Like you rightly said, nations that are predominantly Muslim like in the Middle East such as Oman, Qatar, UAE, Kuwait have never witnessed any fight between Muslims and Christians. Yet, Christians abound in these countries and are not molested or victimised for their faith. The way some of our Muslim brothers in Nigeria understand the Islamic religion is in negation of what the Holy book of Quran taught. We have friends here and we discuss issues with them, they inquire about Christ Jesus and we never had time to fight on trivial issues. The Ijesa people where I originated from have a popular say that "ohun to wa ninu oloti loti n pa mo" meaning what a drunkard concealed in his heart is what he exhibits when drunk. I believe all these fanatics fighting and burning churches in the name of religion had other reasons in their heart apart from Islamic religion. God bless us.

Tajudeen Alabede said:
Ijebu, you will do us all a great deal of good if you can avail us the source of that insensitive quotation. Calling a religion with global reach 'evil' on this global forum reeks of insensitivity and recklessness. This should be a forum for dialogue, not for unbridled partisanship. I guess our duty is to use this online community as a common platform to finding solutions to our common challenges.

Nobody needs reminding that Nigeria is not the only place where Muslims and Christians live together. Even in many predominantly Muslims nations, the level of mutual mistrust and intolerance is not as high as we have in Nigeria. How many countries in the world boil over, in the name of religion, the way we experience in Nigeria? When last did you hear of serious religious crisis in such African nations as Niger, Mali, Senegal and Chad? Yet they are predominant Muslim countries with Christian minorities. Even the excuse that poverty exacerbates the problem in Nigeria doesn't hold water. The nations mentioned are much poorer than Nigeria. The real problem isn't religion. No doubt, religion may become a weapon deployed by some people who have other motives.

Please, don't blame Islam for the wrongs of some Muslims. Anybody, including a Muslim, may be evil. But to label a religion 'evil' on this platform is unacceptable. We need genuine information. Don't feed us with sentiments. Every religion has a history of wrongs committed by her adherents, sometimes in the name of the religion. I only hope that you've read, dispassionately, the complete history of Christianity and Islam.

ijebu afoke dickson said:
I am not sure that there is any religion in the world that teaches its adherents to kill non-members. The problem with Nigeria is that we have people who use religion to execute other agenda. Come to think of it, the pepetretors of this act are urchins, who have no homes but they are used by some preminent Nigerians to carry out the destardly act. Solution can only come when the financiers of the mayhem are fished out and punished in accordance with the laws of the land. But as long the sacred cows remain untouched, solution to religious crisis in Nigeria will remain a mirage.
The crisis that have bedevilled Jos, Plateau State in recent times have become source of great concern and it is rather unfortunate. I wonder if our security agencies are still performing their functions. The State Security Service (SSS), Nigeria Police, NIA and other bodies incharge of security have failed in their duty to unravel the criminals behind the dastardly act that have resulted in losing many lives and property in Jos. If we say it is religious, who are those fueling it. If it is political, who are the big guns behind the scene. We cannot continue to live like this. The State Security Service operatives as much as I know ought to have fish out the culprits by invoking the constitutional empowerment using their technical expertise to know who are the perpetrators. I am very sure these people are not invincible. It is crystal clear that democracy is not the best option for us in this country. The way the present leaders are handling different tragic happenings in the country have shown that they are only interested in safeguarding their own family whereas they took oath to defend the security of Nigerians. The international community may embrace democracy, but in Nigeria, the so called heartless leaders (capitalists) have concluded that it is what they want that will come to pass. The Abisoye Panel that submitted report after the last crisis must have indicted some notable Nigerians and that was why Government refused to take action. We shall continue to loose many lives if the Report of the recent crisis is allowed to go the same way. For God's sake, when do they want us to develop? If Nigerians are patient with their leaders, does not mean they are docile. During Military era, you cannot see such irresponsible act, the perpetrators will surely be brought to book. Even though I am not clamouring for Military government, there is need for purposeful leadership in Nigeria and if it is the Khaki boys that will do it, so be it. Enough is enough.
Na wa o
I pray God Almighty intervene in the matter and help us put an end to the mayhem.
The rich are using the poor for their selfish aggrandisment, that is the main cause of the mayhem and nothing more

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2020   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service