For weeks on, the fire of hate in Jos, Plateau State has raged on. What many said started from a mere arguement over a property has snowballed into  state-wide mayhem of no small proportion. Unconfirmed figures had put the death toll at above a thousand while the once peaceful Jos, a just city regarded as the home of all has been deserted. Not even a dusk to down curfew, nor deployment of  troops by the Army, nor presence of hundreds of heavily armed policemen had been able to quench the fire of hate and fatal anger.

What has gone wrong? Could it be the rumble of  ethnic bad blood, a religious  uprising or total collapse of governance in Nigeria’s Plateau? Why has peace plateaued in Plateau State?

Views: 556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WHAT IS HAPPENING IN JOS IS A REFLECTION OF THE BREAK DOWN OF LAW AND ORDER IN THE LARGER SOCIETY. WE ARE NO LONGER GOD FEARING AND WE ARE VERY INTOLERANT OF THE VIEWS OF OTHERS. WE NEED TO GO BACK TO OUR OLD VALUES AND DO A SERIOUS RETHINK
This is not far from what we see every day. Nigeria Religious difference is the sole reason for this type of violence. Sorry to sya this but there are some relligious fanatics that will not coexist with people of other religions. More so a breakdown of law and order. There is no law in this country and there is nothing like a constitution. Its a mismatched and its a faulty foundation. We need a revolution.
i shed tears for this country. why are we crying over our been called a terrorist country, if someone can kill a fellow being with impunity, then that person is more than a terrorrist. we are all guilty of this atrocities because we tacitly feel happy when other ethnic or religious group are reportedly being killed and feel bad and angry when its other way round. Why and when did we develop to this level of exhibition of animalistic tendencies of being happy over the killing of fellow human being just because we aren't the victim. whether its ethnic or religious, there can never be any justification for killing fellow human being. the Jos crisis is pure ethnic and not religious crisis, its just that the waring factions are of different religious belief and everybody is taking sides based on their religious tendencies. just like the modakeke and ife crisis; aguleri and umuleri crisis, we should all find solution to the problem without bias. We need men of high integrity to permanently resolve this crisis, we need leaders times like this demands.
The scenerio in Jos is nothing but the reflection of our entire society. Things have gone bad in Nigeria today so much that nothing works as our leaders have failed to make use of resources at their disposal to provide the basis of life to the citizenry. No trust in government any longer, the hope of survival is fading away; people ae becoming more frustrated as the day goes by. No food on the table and the likelihood of getting a meal per day is very lean. The society is volitile as there is aggression everywhere and such a society like ours, there is tedency that little argument can lead to brawl and excalate to war like the case in JOS .
The mayhem in Jos is one of the reflections of the current imperfect federalism we are operating. Let the truth be told it is practically impossible for a yoruba or igbo man who was actually born, lived and had all his investment in Kano or any other Hausa-Fulani cities to claim that he is an indigene of the place no matter how long he has lived in that community.
Unless we address the issue of indigeneship seriously and sincerely too, the crisis will continue.
All. What happened in Jos was mere political not religious but other who have hated other ethnic groups took it as an opportunity to avenge the hatred on Christians, let me tell u all, am not a Christian, I am a muslim but Islam does not teaches violence, it teaches PEACE. Because most of this Hausa people don't understand the word 'ISLAM'. Even during the time of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW), He entered into a treaty with his enemies in city of Makkah for years, during this time people entered into islam without forceful. I wondered where these bad people call themselves muslim received their own injunctions from, i can authoritatively say that it is not from the Holy Quran. They are just doing what is not in the Holy Quran. Prophet said (SAW), i left for behind the Holy Quran and my Sunnah so that you will be guided in whatever you are doing and fear the Almighy Allah, whoever follow the path shall not perish.
i once lived in Jos and very fortunate to have enjoyed the peaceful co-existense of the diverse tribal communities within the plateau.quite unfortunate for me again, i was there during the first human eruption that claimed thousand of lifes.surpose it was an earthquake, a volcanic eruption or any natural desaster as it used to be in other part of the world i am sure it would never have resulted to loss of human life to that extent.the Jos problem in my own perspective ranges from religion,tribal,socio-cutural diffrences and overpermissivenes as a result of broken homes and lack of enough time for parent to take good care of their children.these children grew up to meet the society very week that a mathes scrach could easily set the whole city ablace.
the solution is for the stakeholders in plateau politics(if any) to learn from their Kaduna counterpart in order stabilise the security of lifes and properties.next is for them to use the opinion leaders and religious group to strengthen the family system that would consequently take care of the city's socio-econmics values.
One wonders when we summarily blame religion as the root cause of the crises in a section of the country as if that is the only place in the world where people of diverse religious backgrounds have been forced by circumstances of life and living to cohabit. It isn't any religion that orders a people to kill in the peculiar circumstance that we have in Jos and other places in the North. Essentially, the human elements of intolerance and narrow-mindedness are responsible. The atmosphere of mistrust is overwhelming in Nigeria. To a large extent, the elders and leaders of the place should be held responsible. One wonders what they tell the younger ones with respect to human relationship.
Sincerely issue like these are sometime very difficult to contribute because we are yet to know the cause of this crisis in jos, plateau state. Some couple days ago one of the muslim leader said the crisis has nothing to do enthinitism; if then nothing of this issue its obvious that the politician are in control again but the question we must all answer is that we the masses with the right mentality must stand fall and fight tirelessly to win, Too bad that we don't have right leader at the right place; we sincerely need to cancelled our past, repharse our today and rewrite our future for greater tommorrow. Obviously we don't have great leader like we use to have in our great country.
It is quite sad that we continue to make foolery of ourselves day in day out. Outside the country, people do ask us what the problem is in our country Nigeria. I live in an Arab country that has all the citizen (100%) muslim, Christians worship on Friday in churches and nobody disturbs the christians from going to church, the law has always been that Christians should not preach to their citizens to accept their faith, but people have been co-habiting without arson, or any intimidation. Why cann't we have peace in Nigeria? Trivial issues that could just be discussed and forgotten can lead to unfortunate killings and burning of churches and mosques in Nigeria. What was the outcome of the panel of enquiry into the 2008 Jos Crisis! This is one of the reasons for people continuing to take laws into their hands, when nobody has been brought to book for any misdeed. What is the latest about Elumelu and his power probe committee? We pray the good God will intervene and lead us aright.
Jos has been sitting on a smouldering time-bomb that has just been ignited. So long as the people are not willing to accept the truth, such crisis would continue. The immediate past Commissioner of Police has been recalled to Abuja for stating the bitter truth that "Muslims youths attacked Christians in the Church unprovoked". Lucky Dube in one of his songs said 'if you stand for the truth, you will always stand alone' - continue to remain steadfast, brother. Where will all this hide and seek game take us to? Until the pepatrators of these develish acts are punished, more of such uprisings would remain with us. The Commissioner of Justice in Plateau State, earlier this week said on AIT that the case files of the suspects in the previous crisis were taken to Abuja, and no news todate. Even the current crisis, some of those arrested have been taken to Abuja again. The interesting thing is that one never hears of the prosecutions. The people should be taken to where they committed the crimes and tried there. Even as I write this, people are still being killed in villages in Barikin Ladi LGA, the latest raid being yesternight (27/01/20) by the Fulani herdsmen and innocent people being killed. We need to face the hard truth, and no matter who is involved, such people should be tried and convicted to serve as a deterrent to others, and not to always release the suspects who will always regroup and plan a more deadly attack on the people, just like we just witnessed.
I hope other so-called Muslims youths and their sponsors who are engaged in these evil acts will heed your wise counsel. The truth will always be told by those whose conscience is not beclouded by evil intentions. The crisis in Jos is multi-faceted, both religious and political. Religion is a matter of conscience between man and his or her God. Is it only Christians or Muslims that are in Jos, what of the athiests and traditional religionists? The earlier people learn to respect each other's beliefs the better for all of us. The destruction of lives and properties being carried out in the name of religion should stop or else when the nation explodes.... it will be sorrowful.

JIMOH OMEIZA TAIWO said:
All. What happened in Jos was mere political not religious but other who have hated other ethnic groups took it as an opportunity to avenge the hatred on Christians, let me tell u all, am not a Christian, I am a muslim but Islam does not teaches violence, it teaches PEACE. Because most of this Hausa people don't understand the word 'ISLAM'. Even during the time of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW), He entered into a treaty with his enemies in city of Makkah for years, during this time people entered into islam without forceful. I wondered where these bad people call themselves muslim received their own injunctions from, i can authoritatively say that it is not from the Holy Quran. They are just doing what is not in the Holy Quran. Prophet said (SAW), i left for behind the Holy Quran and my Sunnah so that you will be guided in whatever you are doing and fear the Almighy Allah, whoever follow the path shall not perish.

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2019   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service