I don't think so. I believe that if the people involved are genuine and agree, it could actually work. Actually, there are so many reasons for polygamy, especially in the Nigerian society, including looking for a male child, or any child, having more hands to help (eg, when the first wife is a career woman, the second can stay at home) and of course the fact that, a woman is not regarded as responsible unless she is married.

Views: 376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Polygamy potrays the inherent nature of man but was later proscribed by Jesus-Apostle Paul said that a responsible xtain should be a husband of one wife-as he made reference to Adam and Eve in the beginning of human creation by God. Polygamy is very problematic in some cultures,albeit well managed and tolerated in others. In such culture where polygamy is hated,and in defiance to xtain principles, the only leeway to minimize the problems is to marry women of different location and origin/nationality. This however depends on the man's wealth and/or how far apart he can comfortably travel. ...seems to be working well for some men,@least 4 Nigerian men I know,2 in S.Africa,and the other 2 in Ethiopia and Uganda respectively. But I must tell u that polygamy is cumbersome even in some culture where it's well tolerated. When the problems starts coming,no kind of agreement hold earlier btw u and ur mates will work bcos the children-that are the bulk of the whole problem-were not there to give their consent.
Thank you for that wonderful comment Mavos, it makes a lot of sense.
i believe a gud conclusion we have reach.polygamy is bad,it almost ruin my future as a child that grew in such atmosphere.I WILL NEVER suport it,cos its sequela are for ever.
Polygamy is totaly bad. one man one wife.
Polygamy is totaly bad. one man one wife.
...is human a problem to polygamy or is polygamy a problem to man? Why is it that some complain about it while others do not.ie muslims and Arabs? Why is it that some cultures thrive so well with it while others do not? Because I once met a lady-a muslim from Nassarawa- who told me she wants to be a 2nd wife,not the 1st. She simply do not want to fit in the role of being the 1st wife-was her reason. U can see! For her, she enjoys polygamy. We have a man in Nigeria-I think he's called Masaba or so-who's marrying abt 100 wives with hundreds of children, and none of them has ever complain or lack any needs. There is another one in Enugu,an ibo man with abt 40 wives and children,and all living happily. So, my question still resurfaces,'Are we the problem or is polygamy the problem?'
Bro,Let me state clearly that there is no such thing as living happily as a child with 100 siblings,The man with 100 wives is  crazy,What is the relationship between that man and his children?did those Children receive the fatherly care and love most of us enjoy?Did those wives have their husband's love and care as we give our wife today?the lady that told u she want to be a second wife does not in any way mean that some people enjoy it,I have seen many polygamous family,what you call happiness there is just Control,they tolerate each other,no real brotherly love.I have seen many wars in such families resulting in death.The muslims do it too well because their women are bound and covered and their rights are taken away by their husbands.others do it out of poverty,I know a second wife to a rich man b/c the man was so rich,it doesn't mean she enjoys it.Human beings need attention and care,and you hardly get full attention in polygamous homes.Like i said earlier,if a marriage has collapsed beyond remedy,I'll advice divorce instead of polygamy.Be well aware it is imprisonable offence here in the UK,check many polygamous family,That thing you call 'enjoy' is just managing,they found themselves in that situation,they are making the best of it,They can never have what many monogamous family have.I never said that all monogamous families are heaven on earth,Hope you understand what i mean.

Mavos said:
...is human a problem to polygamy or is polygamy a problem to man? Why is it that some complain about it while others do not.ie muslims and Arabs? Why is it that some cultures thrive so well with it while others do not? Because I once met a lady-a muslim from Nassarawa- who told me she wants to be a 2nd wife,not the 1st. She simply do not want to fit in the role of being the 1st wife-was her reason. U can see! For her, she enjoys polygamy. We have a man in Nigeria-I think he's called Masaba or so-who's marrying abt 100 wives with hundreds of children, and none of them has ever complain or lack any needs. There is another one in Enugu,an ibo man with abt 40 wives and children,and all living happily. So, my question still resurfaces,'Are we the problem or is polygamy the problem?'
Those reasons are not enough to go in to polygamy , especially at this jet age, mind you we are becoming more westernized than the traditional African society you know in those days , so polygamy cant be possible in this  21st century .
The reason u mention here wil not make me to beleive in polygamy. Ok some men uses charms to control their wives while some put their own into covnant and immediately the die come see war. and all sort of evils. Any way some put themself into polygamy for the lust of flesh without care the wives and children. Most of the problem we have in this state is contributed is from so call polygamy armrober.burning things.sleeping under the bridge.garriage.uncompleted building. doing All this atrocities is because their father did not care for them. No education. No parental brought up marrying wives and have many childrens without feeding them and give them good education and conduct what u have in your house is terrorist. Afghanistan. Iraq. So polygamy is a ENDLESS WAR. From such keep away.
No.If u can do justice 2them there is no problem.
Usman, that is the way to go.

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2020   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service