Are you trying to lose weight, or just trying to fill your diet with low cholesterol meals? Here's how to make Egusi soup without palm oil.
5 Cups of Egusi (1 mudu)
2 cups ground crayfish
2 red onions
8 large red bell peppers (the more peppers, the more colourful)
1 kg beef
1/2 dried stock fish head
1 large dried catfish (optional)
10 pieces of kpomo (optional)
3 beef seasoning cubes
1 small bunch ugu leaves (Fluted pumpkin)
1. Boil the beef and stockfish head with some salt, onion and water enough to cover the beef. Allow to boil and cook until meat is tender before adding your washed soft kpomo and washed dried catfish. Leave for 15 more minutes then turn off the heat and set aside.
2. Blend the peppers, wash and chop green vegetables, then set aside. The ground melon should be mashed or pounded again in a mortar with a little water until egusi oil begins to show.
3. Pour the crayfish and chopped onions in a heated dry pot for about a minute.
4. Pour in the blended red bell peppers.
5. Stir and cover the pot to boil for about 2 minutes, then add 2 seasoning cubes. Stir and cover the pot again to boil for three to five minutes.
6. Add the stock from your boiled meats. If stock is not enough, you can add some more hot water or continue to adjust by adding water as you cook.
7. Add the now pounded, soft and fluffy egusi. Do not stir but cover and let the pot boil for about five minutes before adding the remaining seasoning cube. Keep checking and stirring well at intervals of 5 minutes (twice) before covering to boil for the last five minutes.
8. Pour in the cooked meats and stir.
9. Turn down the heat and let the meats simmer in the stock for about 2 minutes.
10. Add the vegetables and stir for about 30 seconds before turning off the heat.
Your fit fam Egusi is ready to be eaten! It is best served with hot pounded yam or eba.