Court orders IG’s arrest, detention
By Ikechukwu Nnochiri
ABUJA—AN Abuja high court, has , ordered the arrest of the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ogbonaya Onovo, for allegedly refusing to comply with a court summon over an unlawful detention of two police corporals, Onyebuchi Eze and Kenneth Chikwe.

Justice Olukayode Adeniyi who issued the bench warrant, also ordered all the law enforcement agencies in the country to comply with the directive, adding that he should be detained in prison custody till

September 2, when the substantive case was adjourned to.

The Abuja high court had, ab-initio, ordered the police boss to personally appear before it, yesterday, to
show cause why he should not be committed to prison for allegedly violating four separate court injunctions, allegedly served on him on August 9, 12, 18 and 20, 2010, with regards to the continued detention of the two accused persons.

The two policemen, alongside one Mr. Austine Duru, were on October 7, 2009, arrested by operatives of the State Security Services, SSS, at Owerri, the Imo State capital, for allegedly collaborating with suspected kidnappers in Anambra State and were subsequently transferred to the Force Headquarters in Abuja.

Though the accused persons are yet to be arraigned before a competent court over the alleged crime since they were arrested in 2009, a human rights organization, the International Human Rights Initiative, however, took the case to court after the first accused, (Onyebuchi Eze), was said to have developed appendicitis while under detention and was denied medical attention by the police.

The rights body applied to the court for an order directing the Police to grant him conditional bail to

enable him go for a surgery, a request that was acceded to by the high court.
Consequent upon failure by the police authorities to comply with the bail order, Justice Adeniyi on August 20, ordered Onovo to appear before him, to explain why the court’s order was not respected.

While issuing the bench warrant, Justice Adeniyi maintained: “Nobody, no matter how highly placed is permitted to hold the court to contempt. This should further show the world that law is no respecter of persons irrespective of position.

“I hereby order the arrest of the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ogbonaya Onovo for disobeying the orders of this honourable court and all law enforcement agencies are hereby directed to take notice of this order. He should be arrested and kept in prison custody until he purges himself of the contempt.”
The case was further adjourned till September 2.

Views: 756

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For the judge to order the IGP arrest he has score a point, IF the IGP obey the order or not that,s an order thing but at list it be no a RECORD.
The law, indeed, is no respecter of person(s), however, there should be a mechanism in place that facilitates bringing the accused before a judge as quickly as possible, so that an innocent person unjustly accused of a crime they did not commit, is not kept incarcerated for a long period of time, for that, too, is a crime. I'm sure Mr. Justice of the Abuja High Court will agree with me that both the legal system, as well as the department of public safety, aka, the police need some serious revamping, to improve the way justice is carried out in Nigeria these days. Don't you agree?
Nkem Eli said:
How can you are the IGP of Nigeria na wa oo wonder shall never end instead of pleading for the authority to consider the sick and detained cop to be granted access for his medical attention, IGP deserved that respect no matter what, please the court should have a rethink and invite the NIgerian IGP FOR COOPERATION SAKE, Cheers
your comment is an indication of low mentality by some Nigerians who still live in the stone age

chukwuma Agu Itanyi said:
Nkem Eli said:
How can you are the IGP of Nigeria na wa oo wonder shall never end instead of pleading for the authority to consider the sick and detained cop to be granted access for his medical attention, IGP deserved that respect no matter what, please the court should have a rethink and invite the NIgerian IGP FOR COOPERATION SAKE, Cheers
@ Chukwuma, if you are the one that send that cop to be part of the kidnap tell us so that we shall look for you ,, this era is not for a child s play,,the time for stone age has by far gone,,The IGP is not mad to refused that access for his medical attention but if you Chukwuma can promised us that if he is released to you, he will not escape please look for me and stop abusing the authority.look before you leap,, watch your back,, control your lip,avoid evil communications,with my low mentality i will not fail to tell you that words are like bullets, when you release them they can not come back. For high mentality like you, do you want the Nigeria IGP to be imprison or jailed because that COP,.Tell us please,,listen a person character is like pregnancy ; it cannot be hidden. think about it.
The judge must be a jester, court order of this nature can only be respected in other clime and not Nigeria. Imagine the number one law enforcement officer in the country trying to supress a valid court order and we are sure that nothing will come out of the IG's action.
The court should please verify if the accused are still alive.
My fellow nigerians,its only court that has the right to pronounce anyone as been guilty.those arested are still innocent until proven guilty in the court of law.So,mr IG should have ans the court call if he want the country to be good.Nobody is above the law.IG should be careful.(balogun issue)is past now.WELL 2DAYS AREST IS NOTTING SO IGP SHOULD ACCEPT AND CHILL FOR TWO DAYS IN CELL.I KNOW IT WILL BE AN EXECUTIVE CELL HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
This judge is a great man. If the above-laws in this country in their usual manner like let them come after him. God will fight for him. Anyone that is against the law of the land is anti-partriotic. Not even the IG nor anyone else is above the law that made him the IG. I marvel at Nigerian who fail to hail great attempt like this which aims at sanitizing the so-far ugly face of our great country. I am glad that people in the manners of Gani Fawenhimi (the great Gani), Fela Anikulapo kuti, Ken Saro wiwa all of blessed memories who dare the devil to speak the truth still lives among us. Kudos, great judge! The above the laws may still ignore a lawful order but you have played your own part to the rebranding of this nation. KEEP IT UP. WE NEED MEN LIKE YOU MY DEAR JUDGE>
I hail the courage and bravity of Justice Adeniyi. This has further strenghten the rule of law in Nigeria. I urge the government to ensure that the ruling of the court is carried out.
Nkem, the earlier you realise that no society grows to be equitable when certain persons are allowed to disregard constituted authority, the better for you. In saner societies, the police is a role model for the citizens, more so the head of the police force. What moral right does he have to arrest others when he himself does not obey court orders? As a law officer of the highest rank in the land, he must have risen to that position haven demonstrated more than a passing knowledge of the law and its processes. It is too late in the day to lecture him on what to do when he is served a court process! We Nigerians are our worst enemies. We like to complain about the rottenness in the system but fail woefully to resist things like this that contribute to our parlous situation. If the IG himself does not obey court orders, is it the ordinary policeman that will obey court orders? We miss you Ribadu.

Nkem Eli said:
what an interesting story. At least Mr.Adeniyi's name has once been heard, for being the one to order d arrest of a siiting IG. Funny country, funny ppl. I think d greatest problem of this country is our legal system. We believe you, that no man is above the law of the land but if you for once had respect for the police institution, not just the man heading it, you couldnt have made that pronouncement in the name of judgement. I challenge you, go and arrest mr Onovo and if you you fail i challenge you to resign for you are just wasting tax payers money as a judge.
The IGP should submit to the court order. If in his capacity as the IGP he proves himself as being above the law, then he is not the right person to be in that position. Leadership is all about example.

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2020   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service