Dr. Osisioma Nwolise’s recent article which appeared in some national dailies on the need for the emergence of Nigeria’s first eleven at all levels of governance in 2011 appears more like a statement of wish rather than a template for action. While I agree with his contextual analysis of the challenge of leadership in Nigeria, he failed to volunteer how such a first eleven would emerge.

While we all pray for better leadership next year, I think it would be a tall dream for anybody to expect the best so soon. A lot of work still needs to be done. The prevailing political climate does not encourage the natural emergence of the best among us to lead Nigeria to the desired height.

It is troubling that the constitutional and electoral framework under which the next set of political leaders are going to emerge is still cloudy. Given the current state of affairs, constitutional review and electoral reform processes may take eternity to become a reality. Besides, not much has changed in respect of the attitude of politicians. What’s more, the electorate remains largely impoverished and vulnerable to the manipulations of politicians.

I don’t think a political climate of this shape would be conducive to the emergence of the best eleven within a timeframe that is less than one year. It may be naïve to expect any change so sudden and so drastic as to put the nation in a perfect shape by 2011. On our journey to a renascent Nigeria, we need two critical things: the right leaders and the right environment. As things stand today, there is a great deficit in both.

Building a great, prosperous Nigeria is a work in progress. 2011 may not be the preferred destination; it should rather be a critical juncture. To get the best, we may have to look beyond 2011.

Tajudeen Alabede

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tajudeen, your write up is a master piece. I dof my hat for you. Buidling a great and prosperous Nigeria is indeed a work in progress. The destination is not yet foreseeable. But by the grace of God, we must get there.
Charles: Thanks. I think we must not delude ourselves with high hope and tantalizing promises. The fact is: we haven't done enough to get Nigeria out of the doldrums.

Charles Ugochukwu Okere said:
Tajudeen, your write up is a master piece. I dof my hat for you. Buidling a great and prosperous Nigeria is indeed a work in progress. The destination is not yet foreseeable. But by the grace of God, we must get there.

The need for a dynamic theatre culture - By Lari Williams We should not be too quick to congratulate ourselves in Nigeria on what one may regard as the successes of our mp3 music download and Nollywood films. Instead we should be thinking of how best to u...

RSS

Forum Categories

© 2019   Created by Vanguard Media Ltd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service